Broken bolts on oil boiler burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old Well McClain oil (1978) hot water boiler. Over the years the bolts mounting the burner to boiler have broken and discovered only one of 4 holds the burner. I asked the tech in to fix but they felt risky they may break more bolts removing chamber bolts.leaving me with no heat. He instead proped burner and used some sort of weld to hold it.

They suggest replacement of entire boiler in spring but I am inclined to repair this issue. Is it really that hard to tap new bolts and correct in summer when heat not needed?

I cant imagine how it would be that risky, especially if you dont need heat for a while and can take your time. Not sure if there is something to tapping CI.

What kind of weld was done? I presume nothing that would impinge on any sealing surfaces?

Replace in the spring with a propane boiler. It's a 40 year old boiler. Your oil tanks are likely to be 40 yr old also and may be rusting from the inside.

I think in the building trade they figure 20 yrs for the life

Going to propane will cost several thousand but will be worth it in cost savings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
What kind of weld was done? I presume nothing that would impinge on any sealing surfaces?

Weld was incorrect, a product like JB weld was used for high temp applications. It could easy get ground off.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Replace in the spring with a propane boiler. It's a 40 year old boiler. Your oil tanks are likely to be 40 yr old also and may be rusting from the inside.

Going to propane will cost several thousand but will be worth it in cost savings.

The tank is as old as me! 1972!

My concern actually is the 20 year life of modern boilers. My youngest daughter just turned 3 so I guess boiler would not be end of life when we sell our home when she graduates in 15 years.

What size thread are the bolts? 3/8" 7/16"?

You could easily tap & thread the center of the bolts and use some grade 8 studs.(1/4" or 5/16" is plenty)

Last edited:
It is an old boiler and they don't build em like that these days. An actual Steam boiler takes more wear and tear than a baseboard hot water closed system. The decision to fix should be made based on the inside of the boiler. If it is not ready to corrode thru no reason you should not fix it and go on. Just make sure your pressure popoff valve and flame cutoff safety's are working. in spring open the cleaning hole and look around inside for scale and replace zinc cathodic protector.

I wouldn't use propane....too expensive in my area. Heat via propane was costing us close to $5k per year and the lower level was still uncomfortably cool. We installed a pellet stove four years ago, heats the entire house, and it costs us three tons per season so a total of $2000 for heating and we can use the lower level in Winter.

Penetrant, heat, vise grips if there's a bit still there, drill, EZ-out, etc.. and replace the studs. That said, its a 40-yr old boiler. They don't make them like that anymore... but they also are more efficient nowadays.

I replaced the oil system (CI boiler, hot-water coil, huge BG circs, baseboard) in my house with a condensing gas boiler, indirect hot water tank and panel radiators in the house. The boiler won't last 40yrs, but it sure uses VERY little gas.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Heating oil is 139,000 BTU per gallon, propane is 91,000.
We didn't learn this until our propane system had been installed in the house we were building...at that time, oil and propane were about the same price per gallon. We were dumbfounded by the cost to heat our new house in the winter after having moved from a place with cheap natural gas near Chicago.

For hot water boilers lifetime is about 30-40 years, but you do see some old ones that last 50-60 years. That's probably equivalent to a car with 300k+. The oil tanks usually last around 60 years, if they rust, it's on the bottom because oil floats so the water at the bottom of the tank will start rusting it out. If the tank has a handle, it's probably a newer tank. Around here lots of people switch over to gas all the time so you can find used boilers in the 5-10 year range in the $500-$1000 range although new, they're only in the 2k range, it's the install that can get expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back