change to high milage syn oil at 117,000 on '96 I4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have '96 Camry Wagon with 4 cyl engine. Car has only 117,000. Once a year I change oil b/c mileage is 6,000 to 8,000 annually. Last 10 years or so I've been using whatever 10W30 syn is on sale at advance auto. I want to keep car forever (no rust). Should I change to a high milage syn? Car is in Brooklyn, NY in summer and Hartford, Ct in winter.
Thanks

Not sure a 1996 car in the saltbelt will last forever.

I would not switch to a HM oil just because the engine has over 100k.

Use a decent synthetic until something like the rear main is leaking.

What I've read here is that there are seal conditioners in HM oil.
Whether or not your Camry's seals are a candidate for that kind of treatment is something I couldn't tell you.

I do believe the warnings regarding "switching to synthetics causes leaks" are now false due to fundamental changes in syn-oil chemistry. Again, I don't KNOW.
A quality conventional high-mileage oil may be a good choice.

I found one of these cars (a '95 Camry with the V-6) with even fewer miles for a neighbor.
As you probably know it represents the pinnacle of Japanese build quality.
The one I found has no rust either.

My neighbor has mentioned buying a newer car so I may buy it. If so the first thing I'd do is gain access to as much of the sheet metal as I could and clean and coat it.

Does yours have the dual wipers on the liftgate window?

Originally Posted By: Kira
What I've read here is that there are seal conditioners in HM oil.
Whether or not your Camry's seals are a candidate for that kind of treatment is something I couldn't tell you.

I do believe the warnings regarding "switching to synthetics causes leaks" are now false due to fundamental changes in syn-oil chemistry. Again, I don't KNOW.
A quality conventional high-mileage oil may be a good choice.

I found one of these cars (a '95 Camry with the V-6) with even fewer miles for a neighbor.
The one I found has no rust either.

My neighbor has mentioned buying a newer car so I may buy it. If so the first thing I'd do is gain access to as much of the sheet metal as I could and clean and coat it.

All oils especially synthetic oils have seal conditioners. HM oil has seal dwellers which I would avoid unless really necessary.

If you can get HM oil for the same price as non HM oil, then why not. I would go w whatever is cheaper, that Toyota will run forever on either oil

Valvoline supports the claim of running High mileage oil from day one. Seeing as HM oil costs no more than standard oil, I see no reason not to go to an HM oil. But at your mileage, I don't see much reason to go to an HM oil either.

Mobil 1 EP 5w30 for a yearly oil change. I went 8,500 miles on an oil change with that oil last year, same engine, no problem.

Originally Posted By: Kira

They really do. A friend's dad has a 1989 Honda Civic with 200k and a manual transmission. It has a bit of rust, but he let me drive it and what a car. The only options it had were power windows, I don't think it even had intermittent wipers. I couldn't believe how solid it felt. The car was still small, but it had hardly any road noise and felt well built. Still had the original clutch. Very contrary to my mom's 2011 Fit where the tires howl and you feel like you are in a tin can.
frown.gif

1. To answer Kira's question:

YES!

2. I don't plan to change to HM but Nick1994 and others on ToyotaNation say to use 5W30 and not continue with 10W30 which what is on the oil cap. Why change? Was 5W30 not available or as "good" back in 1996? or?
3. Nick also rec's EP. I had been thinking about spending the few extra dollars (on 5 qts) for the EP.

Thanks for all your input.

0w30 and 5w30 can be used in place of 10w30 applications. All are the same viscosity at operating temperature. Your benefit will be in those cold morning start ups with 5w30 over a 10w30. It'll be less like petroleum jelly. That was an exaggeration, but it makes for an easy example.

20+ years ago 5w30 oils would shear down a grade, so 10w30 was recommended since it was more shear stable.

These days they are shear stable, so no worries.

Thanks Nick!
Obviously that means I can use the same oil in all the cars and mower, snow blower and generator.

I have the same 5sfe engine in 2 Camry's I own, a 93 and 2000. As you can see in my sig, the 93 has over 425k. For years I used 1/2 quart of high mileage oil on top of the 4 quart fill, kinda to fill the oil filter and cut down on oil consumption and a slightly leaky rear main seal. It worked well for me as I used whatever oil I could get cheaply and changed it about 3500 miles. Over the last few years I have found using a fill of all high mileage oil allows me to extend the OCI to 5000 miles. This includes a 95 V6 1mzfe Camry my wife drives. BTW you may have noticed, but the filter for an older Corolla is longer but otherwise identical (Bypass pressure, etc) to the tiny filter for the 5sfe. The puro number is 14477 and I recommend using it as it usually costs the same. If you want to use it, beware many listings and interchange charts show the shorter filter for all the listings so you have to look and see what they have.

The high mileage oil may also help stave off a leaking oil pump cover gasket. The next time you have a timing belt done I'd recommend you get that replaced along with the oil filter adapter and oil cooler o-rings/gaskets. The all harden and start to leak and I like to get ahead of the problem. PM me with any questions and I will try to answer them. I have a lot of experience with 92-01 Camrys.

Originally Posted By: fred9xx
A little humor for Donald - "Forever" for me might not be too long cuz I'm 73 now. :))
Heh heh why change any habits? If a 21 yr old car runs reliably why change your maintenance ? And yes, 10w30 is nearly a universal motor oil. The rest is all debatable.
grin2.gif

I wouldn't keep doing exactly what you've been doing. Stick with the same 10W30 synthetic you've been using.

Robshelton, Thanks for your education on the potential/likely leaks. Is your 425,000 mile Camry listed on the Toyotanation thread? Here's a link if you are interested.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3r...l-today-92.html

When the snow melts I will have to check closer to determine if I have any oil leaks. I did add a 1/2 a quart at about 5,500 miles when the level was just above the Low mark.

I did just buy the 5W30 EP M1 and paid $4 extra for a K&N filter. Both because I change the oil only once a year. $37.00 plus tax a year for oil (5 qts) and filter is not expensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back