Castrol Edge 5w50 ... What could I do with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's still a bunch of clearance oils locally at Autozones.

Just this weekend I picked up 4 quarts of Castrol 5w-40 and a few jugs of MS5K - one of which was used in a friend's oil change.

There's still a bunch of SAE30 which I'll use in my lawnmower, Type F atf for making penetrating oil. And the 5w-50 which I'm not sure what I can use that for.

The vehicles I do oil changes most frequently on are my '11 Focus, '00 Jeep 4.0L and a 2001 F350 with 5.4L.

For $2 a quart, ACEA spec oil ... its a great deal. CAn I use/mix it with anything?

There's really no reason why you couldn't run a full fill of the 5W-50 in your jeep. Honestly I'm in the same boat, as I have a aix pack of Edge 5W-50 and I'm not sure what to do with it. Was thinking lawn mower or generator oil.

Use it as top-up oil, or use it in the Jeep or F350.
It won't retain the 50 end of the grade for very long anyway.
This is a high HTHS oil and that should do bad things to fuel economy.
OTOH, I bought a couple of cases of this oil in API SJ on clearance from Meijer for around a buck sixty or seventy a quart years ago and ran it in the Aerostar 3.0 that we then had.
I figured that as a 5W, it would be fine for cold starts and that the 50 end would provide for better high temperature protection, never mind that Ford thought that a 5W-30 was all you'd ever need in this engine.
I don't recall that there was any notable impact on fuel consumption and the oil seemed okay otherwise.
I wouldn't hesitate to run this oil in your two older machines.

My kymco downtown 300 scooter specs 5w50, send that stuff to me! I should look at my local autozones and see if they still have any leftover.

I may give it a run in the Jeep then and see what happens! Or mix it with something else.

Price is right!

Gas mileage on the Jeep ... isn't really good. Even in my car, if it drops out of grade quickly, I could put it in around July and run it for a few months before winter and it would drop.

I have passed over this and thick Valvoline VR1 for these reasons - nothing practical I can do with it ...

I bet this could be used as manual trans lube!

Rotella T6 is popular for that. Especially in transmissions that can't take gear oil.

Get a set of cheap foam brushes and use it to lube your cars' various hinges - door, hood trunk etc. The foam brush allows you to saturate the hinge, then soak the remaining oil back up so as not to leave a mess. That 50 wt is perfect for this.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I bet this could be used as manual trans lube!

Rotella T6 is popular for that. Especially in transmissions that can't take gear oil.
It will shear to much

You could not buy it unless you have an application for it.

Castrol Edge compatible with your vehicle's needs is on the shelf a Walmart for $4.50-$5.00 per quart everyday.

The store down the street has a blowout sale on mascara right now but you guys aren't down there cornering the market on that stuff.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The store down the street has a blowout sale on mascara right now but you guys aren't down there cornering the market on that stuff.

Hey now, speak for yourself!
wink.gif

Use it anyway you wish (top-up, full fill with oil change) and with any vehicle you own or maintain. It's an ideal oil for air-cooled engines such as some motorcycles and probably with most Diesel motors (if it's not Diesel rated, use it just for top-up), and with any vehicles you run very hard (hard runs to redline, track days, autocross, rallies, etc).

I personally would run it in any of my vehicles but some people might be wary of that 50 rating. That is what the oil will be most of the time in a properly warmed-up engine (212F and above).

I suppose it's possible that the oil film might be too thick for a vehicle designed for a 20 weight oil; perhaps check with a mechanic familiar with the engine and it's tolerances to be sure if you are considering a full fill. But with any high mileage motor, I'd say you're good to go as tolerances will have increased where it matters (main bearings and cam bearings mostly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back