New Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart 20k Mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
$50 !!!!
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
confused2.gif

Wow. Holy cow. That's quite pricey.

Funny how it says to not deviate from your OLM if you're still under warranty. Can you imagine the finger pointing if someone's engine died and the OEM found out the owner was running this oil?

Especially in a DI Turbo engine !!
Originally Posted By: Onug
Funny how it says to not deviate from your OLM if you're still under warranty. Can you imagine the finger pointing if someone's engine died and the OEM found out the owner was running this oil?

Yeah - trying to figure out marketing strategy on this - busy person who does 20k/year in a vehicle not under warranty anymore? Pushing folks with a "safety factor" mindset to run even 50% to 75% of the 20k ? (Me).
Who knows - we still live in a world where not long ago many ran 3k/3 months and that is changing all over ...
In the mean time - interested in finding out what it is made of - because I'm thinking sooner or later they will start dropping the price to sell much of it ...

Originally Posted By: Onug

They have to cover their arse. LOL I'll pass on the 20K miles, and I've done a year many times before so nothing new there for me. Maybe they're zeroing in on Amsoil.

This is marketing to one up Castrol.

Now we know why they've introduced 20k mile oil filters.

I'm all for stouter oil. Newer engines are requiring more from oil. We're catching up to Europe.

So long as it isn't really $50 though!

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

I'm all for stouter oil. Newer engines are requiring more from oil. We're catching up to Europe.

I wouldn't worry much about the price. Give it a bit of time, my bet is you'll see it in the $29.99-$34.99 range for a 5 qt jug, before rebates and all that good stuff. They definitely caught my eye, I like XOM products.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Brand new oil, yet they list a bunch of obsolete specs such as ACEA A1/B1 and GM6094M. Sheesh...

May certain add pack ingredients are changed....
in order to keep TBN up and TAN down....
sacrifices elsewhere were made?

Ditto - was already thinking I'd pay $35 or so (have for PUP) ... but that current price is a bit steep for my habits ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Ditto - was already thinking I'd pay $35 or so (have for PUP) ... but that current price is a bit steep for my habits ...

I agree, a little too rich for my blood too. I still think in a month or so it will be priced right around where I said.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I wouldn't worry much about the price. Give it a bit of time, my bet is you'll see it in the $29.99-$34.99 range for a 5 qt jug, before rebates and all that good stuff. They definitely caught my eye, I like XOM products.

Maybe this is a new extended jug?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Maybe this is a new extended jug?

LOL maybe a 2 gallon jug for that price.

Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
sf8qpw.jpg

Thanks for the pictures!

It's funny how the label says "To learn more about the Mobil 1 Annual Protection Limited Warranty visit Mobil1.com", I just checked the website, don't see any information about the oil yet.

So, it's going to be interesting to see more details. Does this oil replace the Extended performance and Extended performance will be discontinued, or they will keep it and offer these different levels of oils.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I can't quite make it out, does it say dexos1:2015?
The one with the LSPI test?
I'd pay $50 for that...

It does not mention 2015.

I think you're right. The price will come down to $35.00 or so.
Nobody is going to pay fifty bucks for a jug of oil at Walmart.
There may also be a super-duper MIR offer on this oil.
Why did XOM bother?
Well, they already own huge shelf real estate at most retailers, so a new flavor of M1 will buy them even more, further squeezing every other brand on offer.

You'd be talking about Shell around here ... it's like some giant spaceship landed with forklifts, pallets, and banners ...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I think you're right. The price will come down to $35.00 or so.
Nobody is going to pay fifty bucks for a jug of oil at Walmart.
There may also be a super-duper MIR offer on this oil.
Why did XOM bother?
Well, they already own huge shelf real estate at most retailers, so a new flavor of M1 will buy them even more, further squeezing every other brand on offer.

That could end up being exactly what they do. There's room from Sopus [wake up Pennzoil] since PU no longer occupies any shelf space at most WMT locations, and is non-existent in stores like AAP, PB, and Auto Zone.

We can place bets for how long before $39 ...
wink.gif

Don't think it will go really low cause it's likely packing more PAO ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
We can place bets for how long before $39 ...
wink.gif

Don't think it will go really low cause it's likely packing more PAO ...

Tough call. $34.99 would be a good price point for a higher end product in WMT. I think $37.99 would be top dollar in WMT. As soon as it hits $39.99 it will probably collect dust, lots of it, and end up being closed out. Get your shopping carts ready if that happens. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back