10w40/15w40 synthetic options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree.

No oil is a "one size fits all" in the wide ranging world of motorcyle engines. Common production motors span from simple thumpers, to [potentially] hot running air cooled twins, to silky liquid chilled 6's.

There are valid reasons the mechanical engineers who make certain engine types may specify a multi-vis 50 such as 10W50 or 15W50 be used.

Personally, I tried Rotella T Triple Protection 15W40 once in a 2013 Ducati. Shifted very poorly (shared sump). Couldn't tolerate it, drained after couple hundred miles. Current mount requires 15W50 meeting API SM and JASO MA2, no exceptions.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
Where do you buy that? I wont ever be riding below 30 degrees, would a 15wXX be ok in those temps?

I would think so yes.

I've ridden my CBR 600 f4I (shared sump) with Rotella T4 15w40 in 26*F. Ran fine.

Last edited:
Might be one of the better sleeper oils for the money - after I use up bargain Delvac I'm going to run some ...

Walmart ... prolly best to stay above freezing with thick oil like that ... I reckon that engine does some splash lube tricks ...

If the manual says 5W50,I'd stick with that. Have Pablo order you some Amsoil 5W50 or maybe shop around online (eBay) for some Redline 5W50 if you want an exotic. If you want convenience,just cough up the dough for Edge 5W50.

Decided to go with castrol edge 5w50 from napa as someone had suggested. I like the idea of keeping the recommended weight in a synthetic, even if it's a bit more pricey. Once she's broken in I'll have to post a UOA.

Since you want synthetic and can use whatever oil you want consider the motorcycle favorite of Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 or the conventional version of 15w-40. Cant go wrong with either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back