looking for a crusier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

What is the motorcycle cruiser world equal to a SV650? Something cheap and easy to upkeep. Not the fastest but not a turd either.

I love my SV650 but i want to try the cruiser world. Something i can ride to the office with my button up in my saddle bag. Yea I can do it with my SV650 too but i just want to try the crusier world.

I'm think the Honda Shadow 750cc in terms of looks and price is where i want to be. $2500-$3500 gets be a solid example. I've only been on supersports and 250/600/750. I love my Sv650 because i can ride in the city without any issues but i dont like the looks of it with saddle, tail or even a tankbag. (bought all 3, just dont like the looks)

What is the inseam of your jeans?

I'm 6'3" (I wear 36 inseam) and I'm absolutely cramped on the 750 Shadow.
The Suzuki VZ800 Marauder was FAR more roomy, and I put 83,000 miles on one.

I think it's called the C50 now, but I've never driven one.

Don't forget the 883 Sportster - around here they're about $3500. I put 41,000 miles on one in two years, and got 60 mpg the whole time. Besides tires and batteries, all I ever replaced was a $9.83 oil pressure sending unit. Oh, and one turn signal bulb.

I would look at the following

Yamaha Vstar bikes. Usually a 650 or 950 can be found cheap and there are plenty of accessories for all the V stars.

Kawasaki Vulcan 900. Handsome but underpowered for the size of the engine. But also plenty of accessories.

Get a scooter, better protection from weather built in luggage carrier. Just don't wear Harley gear.

Smoky
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Get a scooter, better protection from weather built in luggage carrier. Just don't wear Harley gear.

Smoky
blush.gif

Unless you get >49cc then you can, taunt and outrun them
grin.gif

Kawasaki Vulcan S would be probably closest to an SV in a cruiser. It has the 650 twin from their normal motorcycles.

My opinion: Cruisers generally suck. I would advise renting one and see for yourself before buying one. They are invariably equipped with garbage brakes, garbage suspension, and feeble engines. The ergonomics make no sense at all from a practical perspective. They usually have spindly, flexy, heavy frames. They often times have so little ground clearance that simply navigating city streets will cause pegs to scrape.

Sporster 883 with the right seat is a real nice street bike to get around on. Not a rocket, but pretty big and relatively smooth. There are usually bunches of used 883's on CL for decent money. The 1200 is much quicker, but not nearly as smooth...

It all comes down to ergonomics. Cruising is about laid back comfort. Not Gold Wing or Road King comfort, but feet out (crash bars) upright ridin. It's nice to be able to put feet out, under, or back (buddy pegs). Some decent bags and small rack and you can carry most whatever you want
smile.gif

If you get an 883, look at the Mustang saddles
smile.gif

Thing is they are all different. So you have to actually ride them to see what fits best. V-Star's are good, Kawi's are good. Honda's may be won't fit as well ...

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I would look at the following

Yamaha Vstar bikes. Usually a 650 or 950 can be found cheap and there are plenty of accessories for all the V stars.

Kawasaki Vulcan 900. Handsome but underpowered for the size of the engine. But also plenty of accessories.

As a fellow 03 SV650S owner, I agree with this post. The Vstar was on my short list when considering my first cruiser. I loved everything about it. Decided on the SV650s since I also wanted a sporty bike with the torque of the V engine.

Yep, Kawasaki Vulcan S would probably be the closest.
I used to own a Vstar 650 but swapped it with a CTX700. If you don't need to have a high-reving speed demon or the classic cruiser looks, the CTX has cruiser ergos and it is easy to handle due to the low center of gravity. It is not a big seller so you can find them cheap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Here's a fairly recent test of some Cruisers that are in a similar displacement class as your SV. Just realize that they are all down on power compared to your SV, and much heavier. too.

Motorcyclist Cruiser Test

good read!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
What is the inseam of your jeans?

I'm 6'3" (I wear 36 inseam) and I'm absolutely cramped on the 750 Shadow.
The Suzuki VZ800 Marauder was FAR more roomy, and I put 83,000 miles on one.

I think it's called the C50 now, but I've never driven one.

Don't forget the 883 Sportster - around here they're about $3500. I put 41,000 miles on one in two years, and got 60 mpg the whole time. Besides tires and batteries, all I ever replaced was a $9.83 oil pressure sending unit. Oh, and one turn signal bulb.

I'm 6 feet, 33 inseam. After posting i've looked at the m90 from zuki.

Yes cruisers are heavier and i would need to go up in engine size to be near the power range. 1200 HD is where i would like to be but most likely out of my range as they are in the $6-8k range.

My SV650 stock brakes and suspension isn't all that either. But the few upgrades i've done make it do-able for my 210# body. Hopefully this spring time i can get a dealership to let me test ride one.

2015 Suzuki Boulevard C50 here, very comfortable ride.

Very stylish classic cruiser, lots of chrome, 805cc VTwin. Handles nice, suspension is *very* soft in the front, like an old Cadillac. I like the hidden rear shock, looks like a hardtail.

Pretty much 2 downsides to this bike: timing chain and tensions seem to give up around 25.000-30.000 miles and the engine doesn't like to be ridden WOT. Some engines die early between 35.000 and 40.000 miles others manage a 100.000 miles with no issues. Usually it's a broken big end (lower engine issues). Why? Nobody really knows the exact cause ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back