ATF smelled like fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the ATF in my 2003 Pathfinder today, and I noticed it smelled fishy. The color looked good, did not look/smell burnt. However it wreaked of fish. I have just not smelled anything like that from ATF before. Is this a cause of concern or a symptom to another problem?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: arakele
it smelled fishy.

Was the fluid cloudy?

A fishy odor may be from clutch material, which does tend to smell bad.

Not relevant to this vehicle, but in the old days sperm whale oil was a major component of ATF.
And when the govt made it unavailable, there was a real scramble to duplicate the characteristics.

I opened a bottle of a few year olf ATF +4 the other day, and boy, did it stink!

Never used...

Because I was using it as a solvent, I decided against it and used Dexron which smelt much less bad...

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
Do you think it was contamined by any source like coolant? Maybe amina based dispersant?

It was clear enough I don't think it was

Originally Posted By: Tegger
it smelled fishy.

Was the fluid cloudy?

A fishy odor may be from clutch material, which does tend to smell bad.

Not cloudy at all, was clean enough I decided not to drop the pan and change the filter.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Even brand new ATF smells like a dirty fish tank. Was that your smell?

I have smelled many new bottles of ATF and it has a distinct smell, but not like fish.

I changed the ATF in my 2003 Pathfinder today, and I noticed it smelled fishy. The color looked good, did not look/smell burnt. However it wreaked of fish. I have just not smelled anything like that from ATF before. Is this a cause of concern or a symptom to another problem?

Thanks!

Just curious, and it may not be relevant, but. Was the fluid drained via a pan drop, a drain hole, a radiator trans line, or a siphon?

The mix of various amines and S-P products gives rise to this putrid smell but it's the smell of protection and proper friction modification.

Last edited:
You may get the award for the most name changes on BITOG.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I joined this forum just so I could answer this question LOL... Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I know from experience working with the fussy transmissions in my Volvo and Saab that "3309" type-IV fluid (Castrol TransMax Import, Mobil 3309) smells like a dirty fish tank. I don't know what's in it that gives it that smell, but it is definitely present.

Originally Posted by arakele

Thanks!

Do you know what type of ATF it was? Is this the first time you are changing it on the Pathfinder?

Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by arakele

Thanks!

Do you know what type of ATF it was? Is this the first time you are changing it on the Pathfinder?

Good luck. His last post was almost 5 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back