SuperTech motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wal-Mart undoubtedly makes less profit on it's house brand products vs the name brands and the vendors have a thin margin to boot.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
LuckyStrike said:
Any thoughts on SuperTech motor oil?

You get what you pay for from cheap oil and filters.

I always stick to major brand engine oil companies, partly because you know who has made the oil and that they do not make changes to its mix without changing the PDS, although such changes are rare.

[/quote]Define "Cheap oil".

Any oil that is so cheap it is purchased even if not needed to be added to a "stash" only to be given away or sold again at a later date.

In other words-typical BITOG hoarding.

BTW-I know that's not the answer your looking for-but I couldn't resist!
smirk.gif

Last edited:
We haven't had an ST thread in a good couple of weeks, so I guess that we're due for one.
ST is a cheaply formulated oil that just meets the claimed SAE grade standards at the W end as well as API SN.
There are better and cheaper store brand oils available.
Locally, RK's and Meijer's come to mind.
Name brand oils offer more costly add packs, lower volatility and better cold performance as a consequence of better basestock blends and higher virgin TBN.
In motor oil, as in everything else you buy, you do get a better product in return for the additional dollars you pay.
Tide costs more than Walmart's store brand detergent.
Guess which one will get your clothes cleaner.
ST meets the SAE grade specs as well as API SN.
Other oils go well beyond these minimums.
If good enough is good enough for you, then by all means use ST motor oil.
Given the cost of even a beater as well as fuel to run it as well as insurance to make it legally operable, motor oil is but a minor footnote in the cost of running any car.
Why try to save money on something where there isn't much to be saved?

I don't think there is anything wrong with ST, but I also don't think anything wrong with Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil etc. So I continue to use oils other than ST.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We haven't had an ST thread in a good couple of weeks, so I guess that we're due for one.
ST is a cheaply formulated oil that just meets the claimed SAE grade standards at the W end as well as API SN.
Name brand oils offer more costly add packs, lower volatility and better cold performance as a consequence of better basestock blends and higher virgin TBN.
In motor oil, as in everything else you buy, you do get a better product in return for the additional dollars you pay.
Given the cost of even a beater as well as fuel to run it as well as insurance to make it legally operable, motor oil is but a minor footnote in the cost of running any car.

Because some small towns only have a Walmart and not the other stores you mentioned.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Because some small towns only have a Walmart and not the other stores you mentioned.

True but Walmart sells most major brands of oil so why use ST when you can purchase Mobil 1, Pennzoil, etc.... for cheap.

Because the ST is the cheapest and that's what many shoppers look for when they need oil. I'd rather pay a few bucks more for something a little better just like most of the people on here.

I agree with you 100%. Motor oil isint something someone should try and save a few dollars on. Especially with the cost of a new motor these days. I'm with you though. Id rather pay more for a better product.

Personally all my life I have used Valvoline, Mobil 1 and Pennzoil. All my engines on all the cars I have ever had have been spotless and looked brand new when I ended up getting rid of them. All had close to 200,000 miles on the clock.

Last edited:
I use SuperTech oil filters because they seem to be a better filter than the comparable Fram filters in the same isle.
I do find Bosch filters from time to time, but the filters for my application(s) cost $10 plus.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
So do you think they check on an oils contents and performance after initial certification ??

Acea oddly enough are worse than API in enforcement terms, as its a self certification game. Their limits are slightly better due to race track use along what the Germans call an autobahn, but they are hopeless at enforcing any type of standards.
That's one big reason I stick to major brand oils only.

I know their competitors do.

You are a perfect example of someone who just makes stuff up with no technical or rational justification to support your statements.

Have you been on vacation lately or what? It's been a while.

Originally Posted By: Diesel16
Personally all my life I have used Valvoline, Mobil 1 and Pennzoil. All my engines on all the cars I have ever had have been spotless and looked brand new when I ended up getting rid of them. All had close to 200,000 miles on the clock.

What evidence do you have to show that all your engines wouldn't have looked exactly the same using Supertech oil?

I have used cheap house brand oils and more expensive name brands. I don't see any difference in wear metal particle counts. The little information that Blackstone labs has released show no significant difference in wear between brands. In my opinion expensive oils have no added benefits for the average driver so I keep the extra money in my pocket.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Diesel16

What evidence do you have to show that all your engines wouldn't have looked exactly the same using Supertech oil?

Well I know for a fact had I used cheap oil in those engines I would have had a lot of problems. Cars where a 1987 Ford tempo with the high output 4 cylinder and the other was a 2001 Pontiac grand am with the 3400 series v6. Point is I just don't use cheap oil. I'd rather pay a few dollars more for peace of mind. That's just me though. If you like ST oil then by all means use it.

Last edited:
ST is good stuff...it is my top off oil for the suv (usually 3-4 ounces after an oil change when not full); used it on and off in my metric bikes and scooters (10w-40 pcmo & 15w-40 hdeo); I would use it regularly in my suv if I wasn't under warranty (doesn't carry Chrysler MS-6395 certification)...

Last edited:
Not saying it isint good oil. I'm sure it is good. I just don't use it. I can understand using it though if your on a very tight budget though. Especially if the persons car is a oil burner. I would definitely use it in that for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back