Why would anyone use 10w-30 when 5w-30 same price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyways, if I wanted to [censored]...I open up twitter.

Im sure you guys get the same questions over and over again and it gets annoying. Same thing happens on AVSForum, where I share my expertise.

Originally Posted By: EscapeVelocity

Im sure you guys get the same questions over and over again and it gets annoying. Same thing happens on AVSForum, where I share my expertise.

Nice.

And understand it's not really an issue with the same questions over and over, as much as it is the same people asking them over and over with different screen names.

I use PPPP 10W-30 in my 2016 Subaru WRX because a member here brought it to my attention that it has one of the best NOACK ratings of any oil, regardless of price. Before Pennzoil quit publishing NOACK on the MSDS, it was listed at 4.7%.

Oil stability is important in a turbocharged, GDI, high-specific output engine. And I do run it pretty hard, out on the backroads, from time to time.

And I live in Tennessee, where we only have a few mornings per winter that are below freezing. Plus, my car is garage-kept.

My fsm specifically says not to use a 5W20 or 5W30. It specs 10W30-20W50. Current Nissan tsb still states that.

My 2012 Equinox 2.4 valve train is noticeably quieter using 10W30. Not Dexos approved I know.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Thanks for all the answers.

I was just thinking that 5w-30 would be better on startup and thus better on the engine.
Why would that be?

5w-30 would be better on startup for an engine living at colder temps, say at under -10 deg F and certainly by -20 deg F. At 20-40 deg F there's not much difference between the two. For hot climates, the 10w at startup would give you a higher film strength before full oil flow is establish, and hence more protection.

Why not find something important to post about, rather than rehashing a topic that has been discussed over and over.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Why not find something important to post about, rather than rehashing a topic that has been discussed over and over.

Why not find something important to post about rather than rehashing the same inane, pedantic, meaningless, crybaby, old man, get-off-my-lawn B.S. over and over.

Ah shoot, I knew I saw that style somewhere. I was literally run off of AVS for not using an expensive power cord on a 50 dollar thrift find Kenwood amp during restore, and for using white lightning speaker cables in a home theater set up in a thread about cabling. That is not an accepting or happy group over there. Tough hill to climb if that mindset tries to plug in here.

10w30 might be a better choice for stressed engines, moderate temps, and since your manual called for it, your application.
I use 10w30 in the Chevy V8's I look over during towing season.

Last edited:
One might just as well ask why anyone would use M1 5W-30 or 5W-20 when M1 0W-30 and 0W-20 are the same price.
10W-30 is the recommended grade for many older engines and was the default all climate grade for decades.
It works just fine down to temperatures lower than what most of will ever see in a typical winter.
It may be the more shear stable grade and may offer lower volatility.
It's also a grade that you'll often find on clearance, so for a suitable application you can often pick up a good oil cheaply in this grade.

I use a PYB conventional 10w30, year round, in my 2006 Cadillac CTS that has a GM recommendation of M1 5w30. The PYB meets the 6094M spec that engine called for, and over 11 years after it hit the road, that engine is doing just fine. A real keeper of a car too.

I use the PYB for many of the same reasons others have chimed in about using a 10w30. My 2015 Silverado 2500 6.0 also gets a 10w30, but a syn version. It also has a 5w30 recommendation. Somehow it never got the memo either that a 10w30 was bad for it.

Now to be somewhat fair about this, my vehicles reside in a heated garage during the winter when not being used. I use a 10w30 HDEO in my diesels. They are not in a heated environment, but they have block heaters and oil pan warmers to make up for it.

Actually I've never seen 10W30 here, which is the recommended grade for my car. The choice is between fashionable skinnier stuff, and unfashionable thicker stuff.

I would use 10w30 in an older vehicle that called for it. Many of my cars I've owned it the past called for it. I'd use in now in my Versa Note during the warmer season if it was all I could get for my vehicle that calls for 5w30 without worrying much. With the popularity of 5w30 I doubt I will ever need to do that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back