E85 affects on Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
When ethyl alcohol burns, it creates small amounts of acetic acid (like vinegar)

I imagine that raises TAN pretty quickly.

It's hard on oil & engines - that's why you're supposed to change oil twice as often when running E85.

I ran it E85 in my 2010 FX4 when towing (when and where I could find it). Some of the early UOAs in my data stream (specifically 3,4,& 5) had nearly 100% E85 use in them. I could see no tangible differences in E85 use versus regular gasoline.

2010 Ford F-150 FX4 UOAs

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I imagine that raises TAN pretty quickly.

Do you have proof? Or should everyone trust what you imagine?

Originally Posted By: bigt61
It's hard on oil & engines - that's why you're supposed to change oil twice as often when running E85.

That was the party line, once upon a time at the outset of E85 use. They did testing such as we do to see the added stress on the oil, if there was any of any significance. Now I believe most manuals recommend normal intervals regardless of reg petrol, E10 or E85 usage.

BurrWinder

I run E85 100% of the time...and have been for the last 50,000+ miles. If anybody would like to pitch in for a UOA, I would be more than happy to run one. I change the oil once every six months, paying zero attention to miles. I do roughly 15,000 a year, so you can do the math. Engine currently has right about 98,000 miles. 5w-30 PP in the winter and 5w-40 in the summer.

Originally Posted By: nascarnation
Anybody know if the GM OLM calculation changes when it detects E85 fuel usage?

I've no definitive answer to your query, but my 5.3 LMG averages ~6000 miles on E85 and ~7000 miles on 91 (w/ ~10% ethanol) to 0% OLM.

And it's a wee bit more peppy on the 'straight' corn. Less KR so it gets more throttle and revs consuming renewables' blends.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: splinter

I've no definitive answer to your query, but my 5.3 LMG averages ~6000 miles on E85 and ~7000 miles on 91 (w/ ~10% ethanol) to 0% OLM.

And it's a wee bit more peppy on the 'straight' corn. Less KR so it gets more throttle and revs consuming renewables' blends.
smile.gif

Thanks for the info. Seems reasonable, and nowhere near the "change oil twice as often" mentioned earlier.
With E10 near 2 USD/gal, the price gap to E85 is pretty small these days. RBOB gas and straight ethanol were both about 1.50 USD/gal commodity price so most of the retail difference is lower tax on ethanol.

smile.gif

Thanks for the info. Seems reasonable, and nowhere near the "change oil twice as often" mentioned earlier.
With E10 near 2 USD/gal, the price gap to E85 is pretty small these days. RBOB gas and straight ethanol were both about 1.50 USD/gal commodity price so most of the retail difference is lower tax on ethanol.

Here in Lincoln it's about $0.75/Gallon cheaper and my car doesn't seem to loose much efficiency with it. It's rated for 29mpg w/ E85 but I have been getting about 35 to 37 mpg with it.

smile.gif

Agree...while I have no hard data, it seems to have a little fewer miles left on it when change time comes around since switching to E85. Certainly not a 2X increase though...maybe 15% difference.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
I've no definitive answer to your query, but my 5.3 LMG averages ~6000 miles on E85 and ~7000 miles on 91 (w/ ~10% ethanol) to 0% OLM. And it's a wee bit more peppy on the 'straight' corn. Less KR so it gets more throttle and revs consuming renewables' blends.
smile.gif

Agree...while I have no hard data, it seems to have a little fewer miles left on it when change time comes around since switching to E85. Certainly not a 2X increase though...maybe 15% difference.
While each vehicle is different, I saw ZERO difference in oil life nor in any of the attributes in the UOAs. Unless a vehicle has a specific issue with E85, it seems to be a "non-issue".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back