Why would anyone use 10w-30 when 5w-30 same price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because if you don't live in a cold climate 10w-30 is more better when talking about the same oil line.

Thanks for all the answers.

I was just thinking that 5w-30 would be better on startup and thus better on the engine.

I use 10w30 in all my current vehicles and my past vehicles as well, except for my wife's BMW. I can't tell the difference and neither can my vehicles between 0,5,10w30 in southern California. I tried them all. I buy whatever is on clearance and it's mostly 5&10w30.

Last edited:
In some product lines 10w30 can be lower NOACK and higher HTHS ... just need to look at side by side numbers. Valvoline SynPower website does a good job of putting numbers in a useful spread ...

It barely dips below the freeze point around here, maybe a couple of weeks a year. But it get [censored] hot during long summers.

I did notice that 5w-30 seems to be the most popular oil at Walmart. The shelves seem to be empty on that class compared to the others.

I just used 10w-30 because that's what Toyota recommended. I suppose more cars are now recommending 5w-30 in their manuals these days.

Last edited:
Why would anyone come back and troll bitog with old tired topics?

The answer in to both your question and mine.. is apparently

because they can.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Generally it is a recycled (read: previously banned) member that only exists to post controversial or contentious topics so they get a big response. The OP already got one thread locked tonight.

Multiple topics and threads remind me very much of another former member...

Originally Posted By: EscapeVelocity
Thanks for all the answers.

I was just thinking that 5w-30 would be better on startup and thus better on the engine.
Why would that be?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Rand

Generally it is a recycled (read: previously banned) member that only exists to post controversial or contentious topics so they get a big response.

He wants attention. His thread about "peak oil" went nowhere

It was an honest question.

And it does appear from my reading that most oils are reducing additives. Thus the peak oil comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back