Are there brands that have gone away in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It seems to come in waves. Gulf went away somewhat, then came back. Conoco, 66 and 76 have been showing up aggressively, after the last conoco going away in around 2004. Shell is disappearing from many stations. Ive seen some Mobil stations coming back.

Gulf never left New England...Cumberland Farms convenience stores sell Gulf gas.

+1 They also make decent coffee.

Chevron has brought Texaco back pretty strong in our area - it has Techron... Shell seemed to gain from the ExxonMobil merger (Feds) - but years later Mobil is coming back with nice new stores ... it is the Synergy pack like Exxon ...

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
One brand name that's barely holding on is Standard Oil of California. Apparently Chevron has several station owners use the old name so that they can say they're still using the trademark. If it's not used someone might be able to claim the trademark has been abandoned.

o.jpg

Must be a different standard oil. The standard oil I know of was merged with amaco a long time ago.

I think Amoco was just a successor name for Standard Oil of Indiana. The Standard Oil breakup resulted in a bunch of different oil companies that (with some mergers) were or eventually became Mobil, Exxon, Arco, Marathon, Amoco, and Chevron. Chevron was Standard Oil of California. I remember they were still legally Standard Oil of California for years after they'd rebranded most of the retail operations as Chevron. It took them years to rename the parent company Chevron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Oil#Successor_companies

Here's one diagram of the split, although it doesn't include quite a few intermediate names used:

yztCTds.png

Here's one of various logos used by what is now Chevron:

chevron%2Blogos.jpg

I found this image of various Standard Oil of Indiana brand names:

motmbanner5.jpg

Texaco and Exon stations are very scarce.

Bp for obvious reasons are hard to find.

Shell. Stations are everywhere! Which is a great thing as I pretty much only use Shell 87 or 89octane.

We've lost Mobil (last of them I saw in Da Swamp was ca. 20 years ago), Amoco (1 was still here in 2001), Sinclair, Gulf, Citgo, Tenneco, Phillips 66. Chevron and Shell are still here, as is 1 Conoco station that I know of, and a few Texacos. We had a BP, but it was the highest priced. It withered and died after the Gulf of Mexico oil mess.

In Denver 1997-2001, Sinclair was everywhere, and Texaco, but no Exxon. Or maybe I mostly bought my Olds and my Benzes their fuel at Sinclair shops. In New Mexico, around Albuquerque, there was hardly an Exxon to be seen. There was an old-style gas/service station in Bryan, Texas, when I was there in 2005, with the Mobil logo.

Here in Washington (state), you still see lots of Texaco, Chevron and 76 stations around. Mobil has popped up a lot over the last several years, taking over the Exxon brand. Haven't seen BP since probably the 90's, at least where I travel. A few Valero's have shown up, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back