How can I mount a gun cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gun cabinet I'm looking at mounts to the wall. This would be fine if I had wood walls but I dont.

My walls are more like a cement stuff. It's grey like cement and seems to have sand in it. Pretty easy to drill. Any idea what it is called and how can I mount a gun cabinet to that material?

If the walls are solid, ie not a cement wall board, I'd use expending lead anchors and use lag bolts sized for them.

Also consider the total weight when full, use 4 to 6 holes, bolts, etc.

Lag bolt/concrete anchor?

Are you mounting it to the wall for security or so it doesn't fall over?

What exactly are the walls made out of its important or you will use the wrong product.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Lag bolt/concrete anchor?

Are you mounting it to the wall for security or so it doesn't fall over?

What exactly are the walls made out of its important or you will use the wrong product.
security. I have no idea what this wall material is. Hoping someone knows. Its about 1.5 inches thick. Its not the 4x8 wall material i often see at the hardware store.

Last edited:
What are your floors made out of.
I'm also assuming you have wood or metal studs in the walls?

Find the wood and drill a pilot hole and bolt it to the wood.

You need to figure out what length of bolt needed.

Last edited:
Your best bet is going to be locating a stud/studs and screw into them with the proper length screws, or even better would be lag bolts. If it is in fact a masonry surface and you can't locate studs lead anchors are next in line.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
My walls are more like a cement stuff. It's grey like cement and seems to have sand in it. Pretty easy to drill.

I have no idea what this wall material is. Hoping someone knows. Its about 1.5 inches thick. Its not the 4x8 wall material i often see at the hardware store.

Are you sure you don't have cinderblock walls? Is this an interior, or an exterior wall? What you're describing sound like cinder block. "Grey & sandy". "1-1/2" thick". "Easy to drill". If it is cinderblock you can drill through one side of it and use a Butterfly Bolt. It is a spring loaded, collapsible wing nut that you push through the hole, and it springs open inside the block or wall, preventing it from coming back out. They make them in literally dozens of sizes and lengths.

Desert houses built in the 50's were usually lath and plaster. Sheet rock became popular in the 60's.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Chris142 said:
My walls are more like a cement stuff. It's grey like cement and seems to have sand in it. Pretty easy to drill.

I have no idea what this wall material is. Hoping someone knows. Its about 1.5 inches thick. Its not the 4x8 wall material i often see

Are you sure you don't have cinderblock walls? Is this an interior, or an exterior wall? What you're describing sound like cinder block. "Grey & sandy". "1-1/2" thick". "Easy to drill". If it is cinderblock you can drill through one side of it and use a Butterfly Bolt. It is a spring loaded, collapsible wing nut that you push through the hole, and it springs open inside the block or wall, preventing it from coming back out. They make them in literally dozens of sizes and lengths.
its all walls

Last edited:
If you cannot find a solution for mounting it to the wall, reinforce the bottom of the cabinet with a steel plate and anchor it to the floor. If you want a flush fit, you will have to remove the baseboard. I mounted mine in the corner, with the door opening opposite the wall. I wanted to give potential intruders very little space to work a crow bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back