Vibration/Shake = Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2010 Accord has 110k miles on it. Mostly highway; therefore, it has the original brakes (pads and rotors).

When driving at low speeds, I can get a decent vibration in the car and the steering wheel shakes. Sometimes I can get it to go away with a hard brake. After 5 miles on the highway at 80mph, it always goes away.

Today, after slowly pulling away from a drive-thru window, I noticed the car pulsing in speed as it idled away in gear.

Does all this mean I have stuck calipers? Do they need removed, have the pins cleaned and lubed? Or do I have another problem?

A few months ago, the Honda dealer told me I still had 6-7mm of pad left on the front....

This is usually a tire problem, either out of balance or not round. The first thing to do would be to check the pressure in all four tires.

Drive for a while using the brakes only a little, then pull over and check if any of the wheels are hotter than the others. That would indicate a dragging brake.

If that test passes, find the flattest surface you can, like poured concrete at a gas station or parking garage, and drive very slowly in a straight line over it. Hold the steering wheel loosely. If you notice "once around" side to side wobbling it's a bad tire.

Last edited:
If the vibration is only present at cruise and during acceleration (and not during braking), the issue is not with the braking system. You probably have worn CV axles. If this is confirmed, I recommend replacing both front axles with new or reman axles from the Honda dealer (do not use aftermarket).

Tires and alignment, you will be surprised how much [censored] tires are made by Michellin, Bridgestone etc.
I am going through the same problem with both my vehicles and both have Mischellins.
One quick way to detrmineit is indeed the tires is rotate and observe beavior.
THe axles could be a source of vibration but I doubt it in a vehicle not that old.

I think it is the tires!!!

The shake is really bad most of the time when I brake coming off the highway. But sometimes braking is fairly smooth. The shake is at it's worst when driving around 50mph. Once on the highway and at 78mph cruise, it's hardly noticeable.

All tires were at 33psi, about to drive 3 hours in it now. I cleaned the inside of rims (behind the wheel arms) really well and increased pressure to 38psi to see if it would have an effect.

Tomorrow it's going on for a rotation and balance if not greatly improved.

Currently, the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's have been on for 30k miles and have, according to my gauge, 9/32 tread left..... Doesn't seem right

If they are due for rotation - be a good time to pick it up on a rack. Even when I buy from DT and have free rotation - like to take it to Goodyear shop for an exam once in a while ($30 worst case if only balance and rotation - and hear them make fun of the work done by kids at DT) ...

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Currently, the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's have been on for 30k miles and have, according to my gauge, 9/32 tread left..... Doesn't seem right

I have the same [censored] Michelin's. Paid $200/piece and only 35k miles and almost bald with little thread left. Same happened to the Bridgestone and they have the nerve.to blame it on th drivers. I am well past my speeding years.

Last edited:
Think I got 40k from those and they started to hydroplane more than ever - changed for BFG ...

Perhaps they can give front wheels a 12-6 and 9-3 shake (N/S and then E/W grab and shake of the wheels) ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Perhaps they can give front wheels a 12-6 and 9-3 shake (N/S and then E/W grab and shake of the wheels) ...

Yep, I'm gonna ask them to do that. I doubt this Accord has steering/suspension wear problems. It's simply a highway missile. The car rarely uses it's brakes or steering....

Trusted tire shop said all four wheels were removed, and were all out of balance. I only had to drive 0.3 miles back to work, so no highway speeds yet. We'll see....

But upon inspection, all the originals wheel weights were removed and new ones were installed. I was pleasantly surprised that the bill for a 4 tire rotation and balance was just.....$36 OTD.

Oh, and they measured 8/32" tread left on all 4 tires...these tires are wearing very well for having 30k miles on them already. But I'm easy on tires, these are all highway miles.

Last edited:
Ok, so with my tires re-balanced, I still got a problem.

It's only getting worse.

When I'm on the highway, the car will shake for a few minutes and then smooth out. I'm pretty sure the calipers aren't sliding freely.

The car is 7 years old, has 110K miles on it, and it's still got the factory brakes. I dropped it off at a local garage and told them my issues, told them what I think it is, and they are going to tear everything apart, clean it up, re-lube, and see what kind of improvements I might see.

I'm tempted to just have them install new pads and rotors while they are in there.....but my pads still have plenty of life left in them.

If you have sticky pins or other caliper problem, there will be uneven pad wear.

Here's the verdict: The passenger side caliper was melted onto the pin. It was of course dragging fried the rotor as well.

How does the caliper melt to the pin? What would cause this and how do I prevent it in the future?

So, I'm getting a new caliper on that side (passenger front), a new brake line as well, plus new pads and rotors up front. They will also do a brake fluid flush as well. On the rear, they are going to disassemble everything and clean and relube everything up again.

$620.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back