So we had some rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up here in the North SF Bay Area we are at 278% of normal rainfall. Yes, we have some bad pavements and pot-holes, but it's only the big cities and outlying neighborhoods that have sinkholes ...

This is a result of block grants. Chunk of $$ to cities and they manage the roads - I don't think so. And CalTrans is always in a fight with the locals over where, and how, to build a freeway.

Plus, the locals control the drainages impinging on the freeway right of ways. CalTrans used to own and control 400' on either side of a major freeway. Has not been like that for decades as the locals wanted more land to develop McMansions right up to the fence line.

So, to me, it's activism and local politics that is constraining what CalTrans can do with run-off water, inflow velocities, etc. I made my living in Storm Water Management for 20 years. I've been in these dog fights many times. They are unpleasant, unruly and usually not very productive...

Last edited:
Its a mess out there. Had a family member fly out to LA. Had delays.

The Oroville spill way.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5CwC0_VMAEYsy1.jpg:large

Last edited:
At some point the whole state will drop off into the ocean. And that will earn an Oscar.

As much as I hate what California is either becoming or has become...it's still the sixth largest economy in the world and a "donor" state...meaning they give more tax money to Washington than they get back...in California's case that's sizable. Be careful what you wish for...

I feel sorry for my brethren in SoCal as they're just not set up to take this rain to begin with versus NorCal where it's more the usual thing. Freak weather all over the country.

Weather is one thing but infrastructure with risk is another - I cringe every time I see yet another new development line up with the path of natural destructive forces ... Later they measure "worst storm" in millions of dollars ... ?

I still have friends & co-workers staying out of Oroville, Yuba City, Marysville and other outlying areas (Linda, Olivehurst etc.).
Now with the rain back, tonight/tomorrow is going to be a lot of rain & wind, on/off rain for a few more days are going to be interesting.
Not only the Feather & Sac rivers, but other rivers also are stressing the levee. Many lakes are full or near it.
Watching the local news now... Talking/showing levee's, lakes and informing of the storm. Also folks already flooded. FEMA on the ready, places to evac (Fairgrounds etc). Detailing water levels... we need a break
frown.gif

California has always had a drought flood climate. As soon as the high speed train gets up and running and the taxpayer vote themselves a raise in taxes to fund the obscene government employee retirement packages all will be good.

I'm definitely relating to the Detroit quip "how do you tell who's a drunk driver? They're the ones going down the street in a straight line."
There's a ton of potholes now, and partial lane closures for the bad sections.

Friday's commute was bad. Raining so hard at times it felt like I was in a car wash.
Lots of power outages, traffic lights out, train broke down.

Today's commute was really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back