Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 0W40 test results at 4:33 show 0.11mm wear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLyUPlifuQg

Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W40 test results at 3:42 show 0.08mm wear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIWm-l6hWuk

Both are full synthetic oils.

Specs for each oil:
http://www.mobil.co.uk/uk-english-lcw/carengineoils_products_mobil-super-3000-x1-5w40.aspx#
http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-1-esp-0w40.aspx#

Question for you guys in the know: in what aspect is the M1 0W40 better than Mobil super 3000 X1?

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Did that kid win his junior high school science fair??

BTW, that 0W40 did not look like ESP...

This test appears adequate to me.

Just shows how sometimes a good Group 3 oil can outperform a Group4/5 in certain tests.Both good oils.

Bet gear oil and grease would do even better - let's mix those together and run 15k ...

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck

Adequate for what? Does it accurately represent what happens in a combustion engine?

Man, the stuff people believe in regards to motor oil performance is just... wow.

Go by proven specifications and approvals instead of state fair performances.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Adequate for what? Does it accurately represent what happens in a combustion engine?

Quattro Pete, this may surpise you but motor oil should not leak in the combustion chamber.
I mean adequate for measuring metal wear between two metal parts moving against each other, separated by only a film of oil, like the interface between a crank and bearing.

His this test, the setup is repeatable, the amount of oil is the same, the force is the same, the length of exposure is the same, and the measurement method is the same.

You may be thrown off by the fact that his equipment is not fancy. That's why I said "adequate", a word which means "good enough". Kudos to this kid (or adult) for setting up a simple test with what he's got and running it consistently. Also the lack of fancy "digital" equipment leaves little room for cheating.

I wouldn't get hanged up on the fact that this test is basic if I were you. This guy is obviously from eastern Europe and may have limited resources, but he makes the most out of it, in true BITOG spirit.

Last edited:
"Combustion engine" as in ICE ... how many times has Shannow explained hydrodynamics inside a bearing annulus ... ?

I mean adequate for measuring metal wear between two metal parts moving against each other, separated by only a film of oil, like the interface between a crank and bearing.

His this test, the setup is repeatable, the amount of oil is the same, the force is the same, the length of exposure is the same, and the measurement method is the same.

You may be thrown off by the fact that his equipment is not fancy. That's why I said "adequate", a word which means "good enough". Kudos to this kid (or adult) for setting up a simple test with what he's got and running it consistently. Also the lack of fancy "digital" equipment leaves little room for cheating.

This is akin to 540Rat tests and one-arm bandit tests.

Why do engine manufacturers bother with oil tests on actual IC engines when a simple experiment like this would do?

Some PoP tests run two years ... not seconds. Wait - we covered one today when the Honorable Tig posted his open valve cover on a 200k car that uses no oil ...

Dandruff shampoo with 1% zinc outperformed motor oils in the one armed bandit test.
/sarcasm on

Time to make some suds in your engine because it leaves less wear scar AM-I-RIGHT?

/sarcasm off.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

This is akin to 540Rat tests and one-arm bandit tests.

Why do engine manufacturers bother with oil tests on actual IC engines when a simple experiment like this would do?

Exactly.

Bleach performs exceptionally well in these types of tests, does that make bleach an appropriate lubricant for use inside your engine? No? That's probably why engine oil approval processes involve testing in actual engines followed by measurements rather than ridiculous bench tests that have zero correlation to the operating conditions encountered inside the machinery the product is intended to be used in.

These tests are like trying to compare the ballistics of long range rifle round by driving nails with them. The test doesn't match the application.

This is better suited as a gear oil test, and conveniently, a number of gear oil bench tests that measure EP performance, like this test, actually exist with standards associated with them.

looks a heck of a lot like the typical Timken "one arm bandit" test to me.. I didn't trust it when DuraLube used it in their ad, I didn't trust it when ProLong used it in their ads..

.. and I don't trust it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back