PT Cruiser died while driving...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like some others said, remove something so you can see if the cam is turning. This could just be the oil cap, valve cover, timing cover, cam sensor, etc. I think these may have the water pump belt driven from the other end of the cam, in which case you can see obviously.

If the timing belt is bad, you can check for valve damage with a leakdown test. Cut the belt off and set the cam to close the valves on the cylinder under test. Jam the crank somewhere off of TDC so the pistons don't move and cause further damage. If all cylinders seem good, consider a belt slap.

If the repair budget is going to exceed $50 or so, sell it for metal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Fair enough.

So, would you try and fix this PT Cruiser?

If there was reason to keep it, as a mechanic,I wouldn't be against tossing a belt on it to see if it runs. Provided it is a belt issue.

Personally, I despise cruisers and wouldn't fix it.

Someone should organize a demolition derby of only PT Cruisers. There seem to be enough of them sitting in yards that could be coaxed into running one last time.

PT owner here, bought it new in '01. The car has served me well.

Regarding valve interference; everything I have read (official and not) indicates the valves cannot contact the pistons, however the valves can contact each other (it's a dual overhead cam engine). This is what leads to the possibility of a bent valve.

To determine if the timing belt is broken, I'd remove the upper timing belt shroud. It's held on with a couple of bolts and a few screws. The screws on the lower front and rear of the shroud can be a bit difficult to get to, but it's doable, I've done it myself.

Timing belt replacement is difficult. When replacing the timing belt, it's advisable to replace the water pump, timing belt tensioner, and I'd consider the motor mount as they are all buried in there.

Is it worth it? That's your decision, but that's the straight scoop.

Last edited:
Well that's encouraging (or not, depending on how you look at it). Timing belts usually strip off the teeth where they go around the crank, so the DOHC cams would have stopped, but stayed in sync with each other.

Really need the OP to inspect the "car" and come back. Calling those things cars seems to be an insult to almost all other cars.

Last edited:
Whence cometh all this hate? Its certainly, and unfortunately, not the only interference engine out there.

Makes me think I should get one, though I can't remember seeing one here.

I'm getting an "American Lada" feel from this thread. Should make them good value used.

However bad they are, though, it seems very unlikely they could be stupider than a Hummer.

My co-worker (and friend) who I referred to in my earlier post, bought his PT fairly cheap and commuted to work 200kms (120 miles/day) for about six years. Only trouble I recall him having with it is the cam position sensor. He joked often about driving a PT (but didn't really care), and used it to keep the miles down on his SSEi Bonneville.

In all fairness, if I didn't have a car, and very little cash, a $500 PT Cruiser would be great. Not everyone can afford the latest and greatest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back