Dodge Ram Rear End ... Oil and issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the rear end in my recently "inherited" 2005 Ram Daytona 1500...

A. Recieved the recall for the loosening pinion nut that never got loctite at factory

B. Now, 2 years later has a pinion seal leak (not too bad)

Two questions:

Any chance of me asking them to make it right since recall work was previously involved?

Also, I know that to top her off I need an LSD 75-140 gear oil, anything at walmart that you reccomend with the additive for LSD additive built into it?

you shouldn't need the additive. it's a gear type LSD, any of the gear oils at Walmart will be fine.

i don't think you'll get very far asking them to replace it. that said it's not a hard job if you have the tools.

If the recall is just taking the nut off and putting a new one on, that wouldn't affect the seal.

Because any 12 year old vehicle that leaks oil must be Someone Else's Fault.

The pinion nut loosens and can take out the pinion bearing and seal, along with everything else in the housing.

We had a 05 recalled. They replaced all bearings and seals. Only the gears are the same.

If its leaking, its probably loose. It can wreck the pinion bearing quickly.

Ours was fixed free of charge at 194k miles.

Since they already "fixed" yours I doubt they will do anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Srt20
The pinion nut loosens and can take out the pinion bearing and seal, along with everything else in the housing.

We had a 05 recalled. They replaced all bearings and seals. Only the gears are the same.

I'm aware, but there was no mention of any problems prior to the repair, so I'm wondering why the presumption of guilt?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Why are you assuming they're responsible for the leak?

I beleive, but will have to confirm, that many had indeed been found loose and they had to replace more than just the nut therefore the seal which they (may have) put in would be just under 2 years old.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: Srt20

I'm aware, but there was no mention of any problems prior to the repair, so I'm wondering why the presumption of guilt?

I will have to confirm but I beleive they "did the works in it" so it all may be less than 2 years old.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Ask them.

Exactly. Our opinions mean squat as they will be the final arbiter of whether or not they'll fix it free.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: CT8
Ask them.

Exactly. Our opinions mean squat as they will be the final arbiter of whether or not they'll fix it free.

Agreed.

Also, I know that to top her off I need an LSD 75-140 gear oil, anything at walmart that you reccomend with the additive for LSD additive built into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back