Chevrolet SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor

OT, but does anybody else find it annoying that companies brand Nascar COTs to match their consumer model names, even though the cars have nothing at all in common? Personally, I wouldn't mind saying it's a Ford Nascar, or a Chevy, but calling one a Taurus or a Camry is just stupid.

Yes, I think this is stupid too. Although to be fair I don't really have a dog in that fight b/c I don't follow racing.

Originally Posted By: rationull
I'm all for it. The more RWD, fun to drive choices out there the better. Admittedly I probably wouldn't be in the market for this particular car b/c I'm more of a small wagon/hatch type, but I'm still a fan of fast but practical RWD sedans.

Originally Posted By: JosephHarmon
holden-commodore-expected-to-come-to-the-us-as-chevrolet-ss-45053-7.jpg

see they (Aussies) have @least 4 models based on this design.
front to back there's a sport sedan(saloon), regular family sedan(saloon), Ute,and wagon(estate). and occasionally there's a coupe(coup`e) version
bring us the Ute and the Wagon. there are people here in the states that want them!!!!!!

gm has twice talked about bringing the ute here, once before the economic collapse and the bailouts/restructuring it was to be the "Pontiac G8 ST"(Sport Truck), then for a short window after they eliminated the Pontiac brand, there was a brief discussion of it being the Chevy El Camino. neither plan panned out...

and for those complaining about it (the SS) being Australian, you forget/ might not have known, but between the time they discontinued the old Camaro, and designed the new one, GM moved it's entire RWD V8 passenger car program to Australia.
heck the new Camaro was designed @ Holden, for Chevy, By a South Korean, then Built in Canada.

and if you are complain about the model being called an SS instead of that just being a performance trim level, It's not without GM Precedents.
Don't Forget the Chevy Silverado trucks,up to MY2k Silverado was one of the trim levels for the Full size (C/K) Chevy Pickup, along with Cheyenne, and Scottsdale, then they did a redesign, and decided to just call the new model the Silverado.

Min reason that we hired a Camaro when in Ca was to drive an Oz designed vehicle in the U.S., where a Camaro should have been driven.

Ford brought out a mid 60s Falcon, and it fell to pieces (literally), and the shock towers caved in. That was when manufacturers the world over started testing stuff here, as you can drive 60 miles on corrugated road without crossing the same piece twice.

As to the previously mentioned range, other Commodores that were available in the fairly recent past included
* 4 door Ute;
* 4 door tray top ute;
* 4 door 4WD ute;
* 1 tonner (2WD tray top);
* 4WD Wagon
* Coupe (Monaro/GTO) in V-6, L67, and V-8;
* Coupe 4WD
* Statesman and Caprice

GM-H keeps arguing that it's uneconomical to run "built for Oz" cars, and getting handouts (Chrysler did forever, Mitsubishi, and Ford, so it's not Unique, and it's not GM Only), but keep bringing out oddball combinations and chimeras.

Making me think that we are still the eternal proving ground for ideas, and maybe you'll get your RWD, longitudinal drivetrain back one day.

Back in History, and stretching the synapses...

The HQ Kingswood, had a 2 and 4 door variant of the "Monaro"...there was an SS Monaro, and then Statesman Deville and Caprice.

But there was an "HQ SS", HQ being the model year designation.

HQ+SS+Infra+Red.jpg

OT, but does anybody else find it annoying that companies brand Nascar COTs to match their consumer model names, even though the cars have nothing at all in common.

What I find annoying is the automotive media begs and pleads for GM to bring some of its high performance offerings from down under up to the United States...and when they do, they get panned by that same media pool. THAT is what I find annoying.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Ouch, my eyes! That car is just terribly ugly from that angle. Looks like some sort of stepchild of the 80's mid size in America.

HQs are beautiful, and downunder are "full size", about as big as they made them.

That's a 1973 model.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
OT, but does anybody else find it annoying that companies brand Nascar COTs to match their consumer model names, even though the cars have nothing at all in common.

What I find annoying is the automotive media begs and pleads for GM to bring some of its high performance offerings from down under up to the United States...and when they do, they get panned by that same media pool. THAT is what I find annoying.

This is absolutely true! I have often wondered at the same reaction.

Anybody else find it weird that they will name the car "SS" rather than have it be a trim package? If you tell a car guy that you bought an SS, they will then ask "what kind?" ie, Camaro, Chevelle, Impala, etc.

But I am a fan of the rear drive V8 car so I am cautiously optimistic that they make it a good one.

Looks like it's the end of the road for SS. This month is the last month to order one, according to MT:
http://www.motortrend.com/news/nows-last-chance-order-chevrolet-ss/

I started pondering the idea of a Charger SRT when a friend suggested I look at the SS instead. I haven't driven either one yet. But based on some reviews, it appears the SS might handle better due weighing several hundred pounds less. Both are big and heavy cars, though.

Neither one looks that great inside and out, IMO, but the idea of a throaty American V8 in a family sedan still has me interested.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Oh, c'mon... there was even a Malibu SS package!

GM would slap that logo on ANYTHING if it would sell!

Old GM. They have since committed that SS will only be put on true performance vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Looks like it's the end of the road for SS. This month is the last month to order one, according to MT:
http://www.motortrend.com/news/nows-last-chance-order-chevrolet-ss/

I started pondering the idea of a Charger SRT when a friend suggested I look at the SS instead. I haven't driven either one yet. But based on some reviews, it appears the SS might handle better due weighing several hundred pounds less. Both are big and heavy cars, though.

Neither one looks that great inside and out, IMO, but the idea of a throaty American V8 in a family sedan still has me interested.

A friend of mine has a 2014 which he bought when he traded in his G8. I drove it and fell in love with it. I wanted to try and get a Slipstream Blue one with a manual when they were 20% off last year. but no-one within reason had one.

QP, I'm a Ford man through and through, so it hurts me to say this...the VF Commodore SS is a great car! I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I saw a 2015 Commodore last Fall and talked to the guy at the light. Only1500 sent to the US.

Somehow the Commodore is more sharp than the SS though.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I saw a 2015 Commodore last Fall and talked to the guy at the light. Only1500 sent to the US.

Somehow the Commodore is more sharp than the SS though.

The SS is about the same as the Caprice PPV (PPV has V6 and less-hot V8 choices). 4-door Gen 5 Camaro.
1500 is just the SS numbers.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a32242/chevrolet-caprice-discontinued/

Not a big, huge numbers hit, either in SS supplies or PPV sales. PPV has been beat by Chargers/Explorers big time.

It was cool while it lasted. I certainly like the idea of it. If I was shopping for a new car, it would be on my list, but I would probably end up with a Q70 V8 or possibly another BMW 5 series. I just want something a little more polished interior wise. The brute force of it makes it a contender though.

Overpriced and outdated with the release of the LT1 engine. After driving a car with the LT1, the LS3 feels like a boat anchor in comparison.

I'd consider a lightly used manual when they come down to around 30,000. 40-50k is just too much IMO.

Originally Posted By: Soggydog
There's a white SS riding around Baton Rouge with Holden badges.

LOL! As an American with an Aussie wife, I find this entertaining.

.. on a side note, I REALLY wish that they made an American version of the Holden Ute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back