2016 Sierra Why does my 5.3 shake so much??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2016 Sierra 4x4 crew cab with the 5.3 V8. 12.5k miles on it. I am the original owner. Driven normally. This has got to be the roughest idling engine I have ever had.

Doesn't matter if in drive or in park the engine will shake the body, seats, cab, etc. Pretty strongly. It has always done this but seems to have gotten worse lately. Feels like when I was a kid I changed out some plug wires and got a couple or three on wrong plugs!! It's a deep in the engine sensation.

No check engine light or anything else.

Seems hard to believe that in 2016 a manufacturer can't build a V8 that doesn't shake like an old Harley. I have always ran top tier fuel.

I will see about taking it in for service this week.

This truck has the roughest powertrain in any vehicle I have owned. Strong vibration in console and seats at interstate speeds, and a harsh shifting 8 speed auto. Backed into a parking spot yesterday with the front end popping like I was in 4 high (I wasn't).

Beautiful truck otherwise.

2016 Sierra ? You need to be talking to the dealer about it not BITOG. Have you tried another same vehicle to see if it is the same? Did you drive the vehicle before buying it and if so did it vibrate then or did the vibration start later?

Originally Posted By: CT8
2016 Sierra ? You need to be talking to the dealer about it not BITOG. Have you tried another same vehicle to see if it is the same? Did you drive the vehicle before buying it and if so did it vibrate then or did the vibration start later?

I have not drove another vehicle to see if the vibration is the same.

Yes went for a test drive when new, vibrated about the same as all new, tight engines do. Vibration has gotten worse with time.

My truck is a 2014, same 5.3 but the 6 speed transmission. Only time I ever have any idle issues or something can be felt in the cab is after a long highway run in heat and I come to a stop right off the freeway with the AC on. Other than that I can't said I've experienced anything like you mention. Rode in plenty of various other 16's and 17's and never experienced this, getting it to a dealer is a must. I agree with the above in that you should test drive another truck while you have yours in just for comparison

Head back to dealer to discuss as you should still be under warranty. Maybe they will find something to fix the problem and not tell you everything is normal and all Chevy V8's are like that. If they say they can't do anything, try another dealer service dept if you have one close.

Originally Posted By: daddi
Originally Posted By: CT8

I have not drove another vehicle to see if the vibration is the same.

Yes went for a test drive when new, vibrated about the same as all new, tight engines do. Vibration has gotten worse with time.

I am a 64 year old auto enthusiast and have owned 22 cars, most of them bought new. I've never had a "new, tight engine" vibrate.

Scott

Is that one of the AFM engines.

Maybe it feels rough because its running on 4 cylinders?

Originally Posted By: Rand
Is that one of the AFM engines.

Maybe it feels rough because its running on 4 cylinders?

It shakes the worst at idle, which is running on all eight.

Even my wife commented on the shaking...and she knows nothing about cars!

That is a new truck, there shouldn't be any vibration at idle, there has to be something wrong with the engine. I have a 2010 Silverado with the earlier 5.3 and at idle there is no vibration at all. In fact it's tough to tell if the engine is running. I would say to get the truck to the dealer ASAP for a diagnosis and if the dealer won't do anything, call the GM representative and file a complaint. Their number is listed in the owners manual.

A guy I know had a bad torque convertor on his 8sp GM truck. Shook like what you are describing at hi way speeds. But he didn't really complain about the idle.
They replaced his whole trans with convertor. He says its fine now.

Couple weeks later his engine, the 6.2L, took a poop. New cam and 1 new head.... Not sure what was up with that, but whatever.

This was a 4 cyl. Engine vibrates during idle. Found 1 of the spark plug had a wrong (too small) gap.
Fix it and the idling is much better.

Originally Posted By: daddi

I have owned lots a different vehicle from brand new, with all sorts of different engine configurations, and none of them vibrated from new.
Then again, I've never owned a Harley, which vibrations are part of the ownership experience.

Let's take a look at the list of different engines that I've owned from new:

2 Parallel twins
3 V-twins
3 L-Twins
1 Rotary Twin
2 V-fours
4 Inline Fours
2 V-sixes
2 Flat-sixes

Granted, I've never owned a GMC Pickup truck with a V-8, but I have ridden in plenty, and they never vibrated unless something was wrong.
The idea of checking the spark plug gaps is probably the same place I would start if it were mine.

BC.

Why in the world haven't you taken it back to the dealer?
This won't just fix itself and get better.
This is a new truck and it needs to run like one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back