Recommendation for a good HM oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in June I got a 1993 Ford Ranger with 170,000 miles with the 3.0L Vulcan V6 engine. It currently has PYB 5w-30 in it since I bought it and it leaks roughly 3/4qt of oil every 1,000 miles. Its an old truck so Im not going to go crazy about fixing the leaks so I wanted to hear your guys opinion on the best HM oil to use with the best performing seal swelling additives. Im very very tempted to use Super Tech HM going forward for the value $14.63 price tag.

Im a fan of HDEO in my gas engines
smile.gif

With that said, you will get a lot of various opinions.

Any High Mileage oil you find at Walmart. Becuz its a 93 Ranger.
Or put in STP High Mileage in with the cheapest 5w30 you find on the shelf.

I started using QS defy in our 97 Accord at 235000 miles, it stopped a small rear main seal leak. Leak started again at approx. 280000 miles, just before I sold the car. It was a small leak though, just a drop or two where it was parked overnight.

Previous replies on this subject left me to believe that Maxlife has a milder seal conditioner (gets recommended for low mileage cars - other HM's get ridiculed) - but never heard any real chemistry guru types weigh in.
I run Mobil 1 10w30 High Mileage for the properties ...

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Where is it leaking from? Might be an easy fix
+1

Originally Posted By: Red91
SAE 30. Supertech is readily available and inexpensive.

I wouldnt use a straight grade 30 in Washington. He could easily go to the Cascades or skiing somewhere and have cold start issues.

Try Maxlife or Pennzoil HM 10w40 for year round for you. If you can find it at Walmart, Valvoline Maxlife Heavy Duty Diesel 15w40 for above freezing temps.

Then I'd worry about all the folks recommending Maxlife for engines that don't leak ...

I'll also recommend MaxLife in that engine. It's one of the best HM oils out there.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Then I'd worry about all the folks recommending Maxlife for engines that don't leak ...

Why? It's not going to CAUSE a leak in those engines. It's still a very good oil, even if your engine doesn't leak. And if you consider how it works, it will simply keep the good seals in those engines good for longer.

...think of it as 'preventive medicine'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back