Winter Storage - Oil Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T I picked up back in August. The car was brand new when I bought it and will only be driven about 6,000 miles a year. Since this is a summer car only, I have had it storage in a climate controlled warehouse since November 19th. The warehouse is dark, mostly dust free and stays at 72 degrees year round. Before storing I checked all the fluids, wash/waxed her, filled the tire to max PSI, topped the tank off with premium fuel and hooked her up to a battery tender. Normally when my summer cars come out of storage I take them directly to the dealer to get an oil change and multipoint inspection, as well as have them grease/lube everything.

This weekend it is going to be in the 60s and sunny. Although I normally don’t do this, I’m thinking of taking her out for a couple weekend joy rides, maybe 100 miles total. Should I be concerned with the age of the oil? It’s six months old with 3,000 miles on it. My first service is 1 year/7,500 miles. I’m obviously still in those guidelines, but since the car has been sitting for 3 months, I’m a bit weary.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

No worries. Try and drive it at least 30 minutes before you put it back in storage with a topped up gas tank, and maybe a bit of Stabil added to the gas just prior to topping it up and returning to the warehouse.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It's not even remotely a concern.

Take it out and put some miles on it

^^100%

It good to get all the fluids flowing well and up to operating temps.

Helps with tires life, too.

Your engine loves hot oil, don't hesitate to drive much farther more than a mere 100 miles. Honestly, vehicles that sit a lot as garage queens tend to have problems later on. Why the low mile treatment?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Your engine loves hot oil, don't hesitate to drive much farther more than a mere 100 miles. Honestly, vehicles that sit a lot as garage queens tend to have problems later on. Why the low mile treatment?

Not necessarily true. I can refer you to others who have been storing garage queens for up to 14-16 years and only 500 miles per year usage, and not a single leak doing routine 6 months of winter storage w/o a startup. Yet, their daily drivers, have developed numerous leaks in that same time.

The OP is doing just fine. Personally, I try to get out every 2-4 weeks in the winter if roads permit. Not a fan of 3-6 month storage even if others are and do well with it. Keeping the fluids moving around at least monthly with an extended drive makes sense to me. I wish I took as good a care of my stored car as you do with your Lincoln MKS. Illinois weather can be though. Yet, not like Wisconsin, Michigan, etc.

+2 on the Stabil in the gas tank. Shop around though: marine parts places will sell a quart for $15 while autoparts places charge $50. A quart is usually good for 80-160 gallons.

You mentioned the warehouse is dark... this changes everything. Strange things happen in the dark.

Oil breaks down in an unused engine just as quickly as it does in the jug on a shelf.
Nothing at all to worry about.
Curious as to why you're reserving a common car to summer-only use and giving it climate controlled storage suited to a vintage Ferrari?

Lots of folks follow that on boat motors - I don't run that many hours so figuring on plenty TBN left - and change mine on a nice spring day for the season ahead ...

Suggestion. Change the oil once per year In The FALL before you put the car in storage. The oil will be clean over your Winter storage period. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

Personally, I try to get out every 2-4 weeks in the winter if roads permit. Not a fan of 3-6 month storage even if others are and do well with it. Keeping the fluids moving around at least monthly with an extended drive makes sense to me.

That's what I do with my Corvette, I don't like letting it sit for an entire winter, so I take it out about once every two weeks and go for at least a 30 minute drive on the highway to make sure the oil temperature gets good and hot. The oil that is in it right now was last changed in October 2015 and has over 6000 miles on it. I won't be changing it until probably August or September, and I am confident the UOA will come back looking great.

Thanks for all the replies! Sorry for my delayed response, I try to stay off the internet on the weekends.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

I have three cars and a motorcycle, so my yearly mileage gets split up.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Oil breaks down in an unused engine just as quickly as it does in the jug on a shelf.
Nothing at all to worry about.
Curious as to why you're reserving a common car to summer-only use and giving it climate controlled storage suited to a vintage Ferrari?

For the past 25 years I've always had a daily driver, sports car and winter car. I'm lucky enough to manage a large corporation that has ample warehouse space. One of my suites is 27,000 square feet and we're only using about 3,000. I reserve the rest for my vehicles.

Daily Driver: 2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
Winter Vehicle: 2011 Ford Explorer XLT 3.5L 4x4
Sports car: 1993 Ford Mustang Cobra 5.0L
Motorcycle: 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back