Fram oil filter gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did another oil change today. Took a TG off and put another TG on. The last 5-6 oil changes I've done, the filter gasket sticks to the housing and separates from the filter. The new filter gasket also had to be pressed back into the groove after taking it from the box. Frams are the only filter where the gaskets don't seem to be glued in place. Does anyone else have this issue with frams? Why don't they put a small amount of glue to hold the gasket in place? Never have this with motorcraft or napa filters. This happens to both the FU and TG. I always double check because of this but I'm dreading the day I forget and double gasket it. Still going to use the TG and FU for most of my changes with a MC or napa gold once in a while. I always lube the gasket with new oil before putting it on.

I've never seen any filter where the base gasket is actually glued in the groove. Just check everything before changing the oil filter and you'll be fine.

I have noticed the same issue with my Fram Pro Synthetic (Ultra) filters. You are correct that Fram is the only brand of the filters where this has been an issue.

Never noticed them being any worse than others. I haven't had any filter do that to me in awhile.

I can tell by how it feels when Im taking it off if it left the gasket on the block.

I stopped using the XGs on my F150 because I had problems with the gasket sticking. The 5.4's oil filter location makes it a bit difficult to deal with when that happens. I don't have that problem with Motorcraft or Mobil 1 filters, just with the Fram XGs.

I have only used Fram's on my current and previous Honda for years, no issues with gasket sticking for me.

Thanks for the gasket heads up. I'm out of Mobil 1 filters and the only spin on filters in my stash now are Fram Ultras. I'll have to make sure I double check that the gasket comes off when I use them.

Hastings is the worst. The gaskets fall off and honestly never fitted correctly out of the box.
These are 3614 type filters for Ford. I never had any issues with Ultras in several applications...

Yes - Fram does this often - does not happen when I use Mobil 1 ...
All have sealed well in use ...

Guess I have been lucky. Always oil them up well and never had a problem with any gasket sticking over all the years I have been changing my filter.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Guess I have been lucky. Always oil them up well and never had a problem with any gasket sticking over all the years I have been changing my filter.

Same here.

I never tighten as much as recommended, either.

How quickly we forget. Back in the day all oil filters had that flat removable gasket and so it was recommended that you put a thin coat of clean oil around the top of the gasket before you put on the new filter. This keeps the gasket from sticking to the engine block. I just dip my finger in the top of the filter once I fill it with oil before installation and rub it around the seal before I install.

Last edited:
Been changing oil that way 45 years (Teen at Exxon station) and they will still stick ...
The 2nd to last Fram I pulled stuck. - I always look at the old one ... no biggie.

Originally Posted By: clearanceman
How quickly we forget. Back in the day all oil filters had that flat removable gasket and so it was recommended that you put a thin coat of clean oil around the top of the gasket before you put on the new filter. This keeps the gasket from sticking to the engine block. I just dip my finger in the top of the filter once I fill it with oil before installation and rub it around the seal before I install.

You must not have read my whole post... my last sentence in my OP states I do this.

I always oil the gasket and never had one stick. Maybe it varies by part number I usually use 3980 and used to use 3600s which are pretty much identical except threads

I've been changing oil in my cars off-and-on since the mid-70's, and never had a gasket stick to the block. Not sure why, I've used most brands of filters. I still have some Frams in the stash, I'll keep an eye on 'em.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I've been changing oil in my cars off-and-on since the mid-70's, and never had a gasket stick to the block. Not sure why, I've used most brands of filters. I still have some Frams in the stash, I'll keep an eye on 'em.

Same here. I normally wipe the sealing surface off, so if one stuck, I'd find it. I have not used a Fram in decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back