BMW LL01 alternate oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
Why Porsche doesn't do the same as Audi and call vw 504.xx or 507.xx?

They want their owners to feel special by having their own oil designation.
smile.gif

And it's actually C30, not A30. That is a typo on Lubrizol's website.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
What do you know about Mobil 1 Formula M 5w40 ? (Like for 3.5L Ecoboost ?) ...

Use it without hesitation. It meets MB 229.5, which is very important.

So, no issues running vw oils in a Porsche. Why Porsche doesn't do the same as Audi and call vw 504.xx or 507.xx?

How else would you feel special. Porsche C30 and VW 504.00/507.00 are exactly same specs. By the way, Porsche runs that in V6 TDI,w hich is exactly same engine like in VW Touareg and Audi Q5/7.

Thanks - ordered M1 Formula M - gonna get off the 30's on eB V6 ... (and V8, just HDEO for that) ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Thanks - ordered M1 Formula M - gonna get off the 30's on eB V6 ... (and V8, just HDEO for that) ...

Yeah, M will do good job. Considering DB is specd for bit lighter oil, if you can come across sale of Castrol 0W30 in AZ or AAP would be good.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why Porsche doesn't do the same as Audi and call vw 504.xx or 507.xx?

They want their owners to feel special by having their own oil designation.
smile.gif

And it's actually C30, not A30. That is a typo on Lubrizol's website.

Yes, Lubrizoil got me in error. Porsche's are A40 and C30. Good point.

"This oil thing is addictive...trying to separate marketing from fact"

Good luck with that! BMW has new brand of recommended oil on the oil caps every few years. With regard to the LL-01 designation, I am am sure that it is excellent, and I am using it it my new BMW, but let's be real: that standard is all about meeting crazy long oil change intervals that the Euro Environmentalists want. In this case, you have a 100k plus car. You can run the cheapest synthetic on 5-6 k intervals and you will NEVER have a problem related to oil. If you use a Castrol or Mobil product that ever had the ll01 designation, you are that far ahead. There a a lot of the engines in question around, and BMW has made this a lot harder than it needs to be.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
You can run the cheapest synthetic on 5-6 k intervals and you will NEVER have a problem related to oil.

You are painting with a really broad brush here.

A lot of synthetics on the shelf in the US don't have high enough HT/HS viscosity for BMW applications, and I would argue that it could pose a problem in some cases, even if you only run it at 5-6K intervals.

Besides, something like Castrol Edge 0w-40 that sits on the shelf for less than $25/jug is already one of the cheapest synthetics out there, and meets the required BMW spec, so why would bother with anything else?

I just for the life of me don't understand why this is so difficult. The manufacturer publishes a required specification and there are oils that carry the spec - including one that is very reasonably priced at Walmart. Easy to find, easy to purchase.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
"This oil thing is addictive...trying to separate marketing from fact"

Good luck with that! BMW has new brand of recommended oil on the oil caps every few years. With regard to the LL-01 designation, I am am sure that it is excellent, and I am using it it my new BMW, but let's be real: that standard is all about meeting crazy long oil change intervals that the Euro Environmentalists want. In this case, you have a 100k plus car. You can run the cheapest synthetic on 5-6 k intervals and you will NEVER have a problem related to oil. If you use a Castrol or Mobil product that ever had the ll01 designation, you are that far ahead. There a a lot of the engines in question around, and BMW has made this a lot harder than it needs to be.

his is not funny. Stay away from such ignorant posts because someone might actually fallow your "advice."
This does not have to do anything with environment (not sure why that is bad) but protection of extremely hot engines made for running at high speeds for long time. Those engines are not made for New Jersey, but Germany.
Just ask owners of VW Passat B5 and Audi A4 1.8T how that "cheapest synthetic oil" worked in their cars when VW said: yeah sure, use any synthetic and change it every 5K.
Every now and then we have similar member that thinks all cars are Corollas.

Last edited:
I know I'm not the only one, but I'm still using M1 0W40 without LL-01 in my M3. Car drives exactly the same, similar MPG, similar UOA.

I guess I just wanted the latest GTL formula, instead of the old stuff from Castrol. Just wait until Castrol changes their 0W40 formulation, I bet my money they'll lose LL-01 cert as well, since BMW simply wants you buy their SOPUS oil from the dealership with better profit margin.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
I know I'm not the only one, but I'm still using M1 0W40 without LL-01 in my M3. Car drives exactly the same, similar MPG, similar UOA.

I guess I just wanted the latest GTL formula, instead of the old stuff from Castrol. Just wait until Castrol changes their 0W40 formulation, I bet my money they'll lose LL-01 cert as well, since BMW simply wants you buy their SOPUS oil from the dealership with better profit margin.

Except they no longer have a 0W40.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Just ask owners of VW Passat B5 and Audi A4 1.8T how that "cheapest synthetic oil" worked in their cars when VW said: yeah sure, use any synthetic and change it every 5K.
Every now and then we have similar member that thinks all cars are Corollas.

That wasn't the case. The VW owner's manual gave the dealership/owners options, so naturally people are cheap, so they used 5w30 conventional oil like Castrol GTX 5w30. The sludging was not an issue on the transverse 1.8T's, as the subframe did not interfere with the oil pan like the longitudinal 1.8T's, hence why transverse 1.8T's had a larger oil capacity than the longitudinal.

VW's fix was to clarify the owner's manual and state VW502.00 had to be used, along with a larger oil filter.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

What?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

What?

BMW has discontinued the 0W40. All that is left is what dealers have in stock.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

What?

BMW has discontinued the 0W40. All that is left is what dealers have in stock.

I guess I was unaware that they did their own brewing.

I find it amusing when people buy high dollar cars that have a higher level of maintenance requirements then balk when they have to pay a few dollars more for an oil change.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I find it amusing when people buy high dollar cars that have a higher level of maintenance requirements then balk when they have to pay a few dollars more for an oil change.
27.gif

I enjoy that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back