Stereo-philes, Chime in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I don't know much about home stereo features much. I am wanting to buy one of these stereos; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harman-Kardon-AVR-1510S-5-1-Channel-Network-AV-Receiver/301814965787?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41393%26meid%3D943c018a5bcf4adbaee4cd207e943782%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D322380206280 ,or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-TX-SR353-5-1-Channel-A-V-Receiver-with-HDCP2-2-HDR-and-Bluetooth-/322380206280?hash=item4b0f5b90c8%3Ag%3AdfIAAOSw9GhYbWhY .Which is a better stereo? I plan to use some rca brand surround sound setup,nothing fancy. I have a vizio 47" tv 1020hz Blu Ray player.

You really want to do this at AudioKarma.org Folks there have seen and used almost every imaginable stereo system and can comment authoritatively as to what is what ...
smile.gif

They look fairly comparable. Similar wattage, and both have four HDMI inputs. Having enough inputs of the type you plan to use now and in the future is often the biggest issue in this type of application.

What sources do you see yourself connecting to the receiver? Do they all have HDMI output?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What kind if whacky url did you try to put up?

He simply pasted the URLs into his message without using the "Create a Link" button. And without ever hitting the "Enter" key. Probably posted from his telephone (ugh).

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
You really want to do this at AudioKarma.org Folks there have seen and used almost every imaginable stereo system and can comment authoritatively as to what is what ...
smile.gif

+1 Some of them really know the stuff, helped me regards to tubes, turntables & speakers etc.

This is a far cry from "stereophile"
Both will be fine for the casual user.

I never really liked onkyo
I personally prefer pioneer for a budget receiver.
Avoid HTIB setups like the plague
When in doubt the "heavier" receiver is better

I would recommend buying decent speakers from Craigslist.
Polk monitors come to mind.
RCA today means absolute trash.
Speaker technology really hasn't changed in 30 years.

Last edited:
In general, Onkyo receivers (especially the Integra line) reportedly are more reliable and trouble free than those by Harman Kardon.
I own a 12 year old Integra 5.1 and a classic HK 60 watt two channel. I like them both.

I didn't look up the stereo listed but my family member has a Harmon kardon receiver that sounds great but is hard to use!!?? Usually this stuff isn't an issue but for some reason it's the most difficult receiver that either of us have used, so read up on the reviews.

Do some research. The bottom line is, the most important part is going to be your speakers and how they are setup. A pair of 2.1 computer speakers with a sub, using a strong input signal with an EQ tuned for the room will sound better than an expensive home theatre system with an iPhone streaming music through Bluetooth or wifi.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What kind if whacky url did you try to put up?

He simply pasted the URLs into his message without using the "Create a Link" button. And without ever hitting the "Enter" key. Probably posted from his telephone (ugh).
Nope, posted from my desktop. I don't know how to use all these fancy features.

Is this for a home theater set-up? If not you would be much better served with two-channel gear. Look for an amp with 50-100 watts at under .1% THD (distortion).

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I don't know how to use all these fancy features.

Hit Reply to my message.

See the row of colorful buttons at the top of the Reply window?
Click the second one from left, the one with the world and the chain.

THAT's where you paste your URL.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
This is a far cry from "stereophile"
Both will be fine for the casual user.

I never really liked onkyo
I personally prefer pioneer for a budget receiver.

I have an old Onkyo that sounds better than 80% of the "stereophile" [censored] out there. Tube driven with an actual 70W per channel and it blows the walls out of any room...

If you plan on using this for something like digital surround, be sure to confirm what decoders will work with the sources you may intend to connect to it. If you do your due diligence, you can get used audio equipment at bargain prices even if it's only a few years old. I got a used Onkyo (very nice sound and usability) for my 'budget' home theater setup only to realize it didn't decode DD+ as used by Netflix. I then picked up a used Denon 5.1 unit that decoded that format and works great. Both units were in 9+ condition and were under $150. The only issue was that the Denon wasn't packaged well by the seller and sustained some broken plastic in shipment that didn't affect operation.

Touring has it right. You just need an inexpensive unit to drive your 5.1 speakers. I have an Onkyo with Polk 5.1 in a box speakers. Very good sound. You'd have to spend a lot more to get slightly better sound. I've had to replace capacitors in my Onkyo but it's about 12 years old and works fine.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I have an old Onkyo that sounds better than 80% of the "stereophile" [censored] out there. Tube driven with an actual 70W per channel and it blows the walls out of any room...

Sweet! When was it made? Post some pictures if you get a chance. I'd love to have an all-tube system.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I don't know how to use all these fancy features.

Hit Reply to my message.

See the row of colorful buttons at the top of the Reply window?
Click the second one from left, the one with the world and the chain.

THAT's where you paste your URL.
BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back