Need recommendations for an oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a 2016 Lexus IS 300 F Sport. Been looking into oil filters. Really hard to find any information on efficiency, quality, etc. I am not sure of my oil change interval plan. Three thoughts: 10K with filter, 5K oil 10K filter, or 5K oil and filter.

So far I been able to find the following filters that fit my car.
Toyota OEM
Fram Tough Guard (no Ultra available)
Wix
K&N
Baldwin
Hastings
Mobil 1

Oddly enough, the Toyota filter is one of the cheapest. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry

Oddly enough, the Toyota filter is one of the cheapest. Your thoughts are appreciated.

This should be a no-brainer. Use the Toyota filter, at least during the warranty period, and the manufacturer can't blame the oil filter should there be an engine problem.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

This should be a no-brainer. Use the Toyota filter, at least during the warranty period, and the manufacturer can't blame the oil filter should there be an engine problem.

My initial thoughts exactly. Hard to get by the fact that the Toyota filter may have the lowest efficiency.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
What is forecast for miles per year ? Ratio of highway: city miles ?

17K per year
Usually 13 miles per commute trip suburban driving. This is 70% of my driving.
30% pure highway.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Tough guard for sure

You think it makes any difference?

TG for the win! It will do a nice job keeping the color nice and light even after 10k miles. Not that color is a tell all. I've had great uoa results using the oem filter on the Camry even though the oil was a darker color.

If your Lexus spec's the 0w-20, it's a 10k mile interval anyway. If they think the OEM can stand up to that, and it's the least expensive, that would be the route I would take.

Is 8500 mile OCI too much for you ? Oil Life Monitor might steer twice a year for oil and filter ...

Just pick which ever filter makes you feel the best. The OEM would be more than fine.

After I get around to changing my filter in the IS I'll post pics. Not going to say anything until I post pics, left my flame suit at home...

To add confidence to your thinking, every option you posted is very conservative.

Out of those you listed, I'd choose the Fram followed by the Wix.

FWIW Amsoil makes a filter good for 15k.

Last edited:
Purchased a 2016 Lexus IS 300 F Sport. Been looking into oil filters. Really hard to find any information on efficiency, quality, etc. I am not sure of my oil change interval plan. Three thoughts: 10K with filter, 5K oil 10K filter, or 5K oil and filter.

So far I been able to find the following filters that fit my car.
Toyota OEM
Fram Tough Guard (no Ultra available)
Wix
K&N
Baldwin
Hastings
Mobil 1

If it's under some kind of warranty it will almost certainly be invalidated if you don'y use a dealer supplied oil filter (Keep the receipts) and a fully approved oil.

If not I would use either OEM from a dealer, not Fleabay or Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back