Low lint final wipe cloths

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Ive generally had good luck with the waffle type birchwood casey large caliber patches for a final very light ballistol wipedown. Not a big fan of paper towels, blue shop rags, or yellow kirkland microfiber, which are good for lots of other things.

Maybe theyre getting old, they do this worse on my (rougher for lackof better term) coated rifles and handguns, but also do soon my smooth stainless and blued metal parts.

I dont really just keep an oily rag for wipedown. But im not liking this lint...

Recommendations?

A soft paint brush will "sweep" away all the lint.

I am using microtex brand generic microfiber cloths used for drying and detailing cars. I moisten the cloths with corrosion-x and store them in a gallon size zip-lock bag. Works great and never any lint. Every few months or so, I add a few more squirts of oil to the cloth to keep it most.

Alternatively, You can use small, new paint brush for final wipe down. Moisten the bristles with your oil of choice, give the gun a few squirts or a nice mist with the same oil and use the paint brush to evenly brush on a light coat of oil, almost like applying a light coat of paint. Keep the paint brush in a zip lock bag for next time and don't use it for anything else except final wipe down.

I have much the same problem with all of the "gun rags" they sell. Especially when they get some good use. It's really bad on Parkerized guns. And they require the most oil. Parkerizing itself has little to no rustproofing ability. It has to be well soaked with oil, then the excess blotted away. I've yet to find a suitable type of cloth that doesn't snag on the roughness of the Parkerizing. And leave a ton of lint in the process.

shamwow-doubleoffer-300x250.gif

Originally Posted By: billt460
I have much the same problem with all of the "gun rags" they sell. Especially when they get some good use. It's really bad on Parkerized guns. And they require the most oil. Parkerizing itself has little to no rustproofing ability. It has to be well soaked with oil, then the excess blotted away. I've yet to find a suitable type of cloth that doesn't snag on the roughness of the Parkerizing. And leave a ton of lint in the process.

So that makes sense for my parkerized guns, but the patches are still not doing great...

Maybe ill look for one of those ultra-low/no nap glass cleaning microfiber cloths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back