Android battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yes, it appears ES File Explorer isn't what it once was, ever since they got acquired. I'm sorry that I recommended it to you.

Time to find another file manager app. Here is one list:

http://www.androidauthority.com/file-manager-explorer-apps-android-279800/

The one thing I liked about ES was that its built-in FTP support was very good. Many of the other free file manager apps don't have it.

Yes, for the last several months, ES has been frustrating me. It's about to get nixed on my phone and tablet.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I'm currently testing X-plore File Manager. Has FTP and LAN support.

Thanks for that suggestion, LAN is my most important feature. I have an FTP, but never use it because of LAN and VPN.

Originally Posted By: supton
I realize now that Android limits write access, and it makes sense; but it didn't play well with what I wanted (edit files on SD card, and be able to remove card in case the phone gets bricked). Maybe later on I'll see if the app can be moved to SD card, I'd think so, since a text editor ought to be pretty primitive, all things considered.

Do you have Android 6? Is your SD card configured to be seen as internal storage by any chance? If so, this has some drawbacks, but it does allow you to install apps to SD card. This link has more info:
https://www.howtogeek.com/114667/how-to-...to-the-sd-card/

Mine is not set up as internal storage. I just created a Word doc on my tablet and saved it to the sd card. I then unmounted the card and removed it from tablet. I inserted the sd card into my PC. I was able to open the Word doc, edit it, and save it. Then I put the card back in the tablet and was able to open it again there and I saw the latest version (that I edited in my PC). However, it told me the document was in read only mode because apparently I am using some outdated Word version on my PC, so it asked me to save it under a new name in order to continue editing. But presumably, if I had a recent Word version, it would have opened it as an editable version to begin with.

Android 6 for my phone (which I wasn't worried about), and 5 for my Kindle (which I was wanting to use for typing on). Phone I have configured for external storage, Kindle looks likewise.

I didn't try unmounting the card and putting into the PC. I should try that next. Maybe this weekend.

Android 6 for my phone (which I wasn't worried about), and 5 for my Kindle (which I was wanting to use for typing on). Phone I have configured for external storage, Kindle looks likewise.

I didn't try unmounting the card and putting into the PC. I should try that next. Maybe this weekend.

Remember that you don't really have Android 5 for your Kindle.

You have Amazon's Android 5. I don't know the differences other than requiring Amazon's app store, but I'm sure there are some differences, just like what all the other manufacturers do, like Samsung, etc.

42% this morning, so back to what it was. I guess ES file manager was the culprit (only real change I made). Cell standby was still high, 17%, and it says no coverage for 11%, which is reasonable. Forget what it was when I went to bed, high 80's I think, so overnight drain is pretty hard. Might just have to get into the habit of disabling cell at times.

Outlook seems to sync only when I am in Outlook. I didn't set it to be that way, but that's how it works.

40% drain overnight is terrible. I lose less than 5%. Weak signal is killing you. You might try turning data off and just keeping the phone portion active. You'll still get hit hard, but it might be somewhat better, and you could still receive an emergency phone call, assuming you're actually getting some signal.

I leave data off all the time. Don't want to use it up--I only get 60MB per month. [Of course, since I never use it, I've got 1.5GB saved up.]

Originally Posted By: racer12306

Remember that you don't really have Android 5 for your Kindle.

You have Amazon's Android 5. I don't know the differences other than requiring Amazon's app store, but I'm sure there are some differences, just like what all the other manufacturers do, like Samsung, etc.

Yeah, I know. I'm not sure what they have messed with on their install.

Couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on a "better" tablet. Kindle has "decent" specs: 8" screen, 1280xsomething resolution, 1.5G RAM, 16G storage (I added a 32G card for $20). I kinda wish I had gone better, as the screen is super reflective; but I knew I would use it mostly while on the couch with the lights dimmed in the evening, with the lights dimmed. $145 I thought wasn't that bad in the end ($90 Kindle, $35 case, $20 SD).
21.gif
In a couple of years I'll replace it I figure.

Oddly enough, while it has the same size screen and more pixels than my iPad, I'd rate the screen worse than my iPad. Its saving grace is the bluescreen/nighttime mode. That's really nice.

Last edited:
who is your provider that you have no signal?

Do you live in a condo?

No Signal MELTS your battery. even low signal will.

I leave data off all the time. Don't want to use it up--I only get 60MB per month. [Of course, since I never use it, I've got 1.5GB saved up.]

Yikes, you're definitely getting killed by poor signal strength. I would just turn the phone off overnight since it's pretty much useless anyway at that time. Or at least put it in airplane mode. Or if you need to have call capability and you are savvy enough and have good WiFi signal, put in WiFi mode and use Google Hangouts to have WiFi call ability.

I have to look into the Google stuff and see what is available over wifi. I did turn off the phone last night (of course it had much more charge left) but it's been on all day, just in case the wife sends me a text. Just have to get into the habit of phone on/off.

I have Tracfone for service, which is using Verizon's towers. There's a couple of spots near me, where there's always someone sitting. Finishing their phone call. Those two spots are 8-10 miles from me; that is how bad the service is out here.

I'm just glad the phone (mostly) works at home. First phone I bought was a GSM that didn't work within 20 miles of home. Finally replaced it with a CDMA and it has some service.

I just accidently turned on location somehow (gps)

and battery was going down at 5.5% an hour without being touched at all..
was in my coat pocket

seems crazy that gps/location services triple the battery drain.
Also since android 7.0 even putting it on battery saver location(location on NO GPS) still uses massive battery
with android 6.x the non-gps location services used much less.

My Note5 battery sucks. Infact, just about every battery sucks and unfortunately they are no longer accessible to upgrade which I find extremely annoying. I am considering swapping my Note5 for a Note4.

I'm on VZW and I'm a power user. 13 gigs of data used and still have 1/3 of my billing cycle to go.

Dang. I charged mine up at 7pm last night. WiFi and BT on, cell off. Down to 65% now with hardly any usage (so a third of the battery gone within 17 hours of non-usage).

Dang. I charged mine up at 7pm last night. WiFi and BT on, cell off. Down to 65% now with hardly any usage (so a third of the battery gone within 17 hours of non-usage).

Before you upgraded to this new phone, I warned you that battery life on modern smartphones isn't as good as what you were reporting on your old phone. I was not joking.
smile.gif
You basically need to get used to having to plug it in once a day/night.

With that said, I think BT is a major contributor to battery consumption, but if you need it, you need it.

I was expecting shorter life when I upgraded. Mostly. Mostly I'm not complaining: I was expecting a bit more life today, with cell off, than what I got. But it is what it is. Next phone I might have to splurge and get that wireless charging--maybe it'll become more common on the future.

I'd rather not have to charge at all (nuclear powered, anyone?) but as long as I can get 24 hours out of it I'm ok with it. I just don't want to "have" to charge every 12 hours or so. that seems excessive.

Normal standby battery drain is around 1.5-2% per hour

so that seems reasonable.

wifi doesnt save power over cell unless you have no cell service
and your phone will go full wifi calling mode.. most dont.

BT can be a power hog esp. if its constantly searching for BT devices to connect to.
YMMV.

I leave it on now most of the time because its about .2-.4% use per hour so no big deal.

My phone is a Moto G4 Play w/2800 mAh battery. BT accounts for about 5-10% of total battery drain in a day, according to Android's battery monitor app. For some reason, after certain updates it seems to take longer for the phone to connect with the BT in my car and my two headsets. I recently had to delete the phone from my car and repeat the pairing process which seems to have cut down on the battery drain, but I downloaded a BT on/off widget and now manually turn off BT when I'm not using it.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
but I downloaded a BT on/off widget and now manually turn off BT when I'm not using it.

You should be able to just swipe down to expand the top bar notifications and settings. There is a BT on/off icon there.

Or is that not available in Motorola's version of Android?

Screenshot_20170222-121009.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back