Technically It's a Golf...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...with a little bit more power. A couple weeks ago I posted asking about the EA888 1.8T in the new VW's. I found a dealer with some with the manual that I wanted, but the GTI's prices were too good to pass up. Glad I sprung the extra cash, the 2.0T is friggin' awesome! I loved my 2.5 Jetta, but it was at the point of "I want"

Old and new:

20170218_120634_zpsrg6hxedq.jpg

Home:

20170218_150915_zpsthneneii.jpg

20170218_150927_zps6zogy83w.jpg

20170218_150954_zpsxynce8ha.jpg

6 speed manual is the only way to go!

20170218_151132_zpscxdpwlik.jpg

Tucked away for the night...

20170218_161017_zpsc8cs2wsv.jpg

The only thing I dislike is the rear hatch room is a little lacking. This is my toolbag in the back for reference. Haven't put my suitcase in there yet, but I imagine it will be tight.

20170218_154235_zpsqo1aaocx.jpg

Overall I love it! The power is excellent, turbo lag is little. I averaged 33mpg on the 2 hour trip back from Virginia. The clutch is taking a little getting used to; it's light like the Jetta, but just a little more touchy. Also going from a 5 speed to a 6 speed I found myself accidentally cruising in 5th to realize I had another to go. I know it's going to be asked, but it was $22,800 OTD. This is the S base model, but it feels far from it!

Very nice! I have yet do drive a VW product with the current 2.0 TSI. If you had the chance to drive a 1.8 TSI, could you comment on how the 2.0 TSI compares? I love the seats by the way. My finance really wanted a Golf with the plaid seats!

The plaid seats are standard on the S models. I actually went for the S for the seats, because I'm a dork like that, lol. They are softer than the leatherette in the Jetta. The bolstered sides really hold you in on those curves. They are also heated, which is nice in my climate. There is some rubbing when I get in, so I'm curious to see how well they really hold up.

Can't comment on the 1.8 vs 2.0. After doing numbers (liked the dealer did this before test drive) we just drove the GTI. Waiting a couple hundred miles to really lay into it, but right now it hauls!

And it will be getting Edge 0w40 after a couple thousand miles.

Awesome car! My wife drives a lot for her job and gets paid mileage. She tends to take my car since I often ride a bike to work not wanting to rack up miles on her car. Mine has 91K on it. Mine has the plaid seats, too. The seats aren't really showing any wear, but they are kinda hard to clean and show dirt faster. I'm 164, she's 118#. You might wanna look into applying Scotchgaurd.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nice car, I love the color. What size are the wheels?

18" with Continental tires. Probably not the best combo, but I might drive 5K a year, so they will last. Will probably be getting some 16" steelies and snow tires for winter.

1.8 vs 2.0 is the 2.0 is longer stroke and a variable exhaust cam. GTI is tuned for premium gas and power vs 1.8t's tune to return high MPGs on any gas.

Great car! Almost bought a GTI a while back. Love the plaid seats and three pedals!

Great car for the money! And reliable if you stay away from the modifications. Idk why anyone would buy a Cruze Hatchback for 26k over a GTI.

They make you wear temporary plates up front too? That's lame. Car looks hawt.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They make you wear temporary plates up front too? That's lame. Car looks hawt.
01.gif

Well since I bought the car in Virginia and they're a 2 plate state, that's how they stuck them on there. Shame they already mounted the front plate holder since here in Pennsylvania we only require the rear plate. I'll find some appropriate plugs and color match them. Gotta get rid of the VA inspection sticker as well when my plates come in.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I had a custom euro plate made to match my state tags for the front. Doesn't look as good as no plate, but I think it's kinda cool.

My car had an OE front plate frame on for 10 years, so there was paint damage underneath.

Yeah I can't stand front plates. My Sonata that I just bought came with a front plate holder and I took it off right away. Has holes though which irritates me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back