Mobil1 0W40: NEW LIFE vs. FS

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mobil1.co.uk/synthetic-engine-oils/new-life-0w-40.aspx?tabs=specifications#tabs
http://www.mobil1.co.uk/synthetic-engine-oils/fs-0w-40.aspx?tabs=specifications#tabs

Now the FS version now is available here + old formulation is still on the shelves.

Mobil1 is my favourite one due to its
1. great cleaning effect
2. excellent antiwear pack
3. high HTHS number
4. low cold start viscosity
so I'm curious about the difference before trying in my flat tappet light turbo aspirated 5 cylinders S60 petrol engine (B5204T)

Interesting for me: FS has
1. lower viscosity at 100°C and 40°C
2. lower MRV at -40°C by 30% (!)
3. higher TBN
4. lower HTHS
5. slightly higher sulphated ash content
6. lower density and flash point

So I'm cofused now: is it designed for older or newer car?
Based on UOA shared here: can't keep weel its vicosity after 5K miles UOA: M1 FS vs. Castrol Edge

Last edited:
My question only: which formulation will perform better through the planned 6K miles running (3-30 miles per day) - partly city traffic.

Take the old formulation M1 0W40 whilst it's still available........
for its stronger viscosity, LL01 approval and possibly more shear stable than FS version.
May be it's just me.
blush.gif

So that's 3 formulations. The regular 0w-40, the new life, and then the FS. I didn't even realize the new life was still around. It was mentioned briefly around not long ago, then seemed to be discontinued.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
...I didn't even realize the new life was still around. It was mentioned briefly around not long ago, then seemed to be discontinued.

Yes, this is the promise by Mobil1 Europe: New Life to be replaced fully by FS soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zoli
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
...I didn't even realize the new life was still around. It was mentioned briefly around not long ago, then seemed to be discontinued.

Yes, this is the promise by Mobil1 Europe: New Life to be replaced fully by FS soon.

Can you find old version on sale?
That is some stout oil. New FS from all I have seen is kind of "meeeh."

Originally Posted By: edyvw
...Can you find old version on sale?

Yes, still available around USD 37 per 4 quarts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zoli
Originally Posted By: edyvw
...Can you find old version on sale?

Yes, still available around USD 37 per 4 quarts.

Stock up
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back