Using Rotella Synthetic 5W40 in gasoline engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
People seem to like this oil in their VQ35 engines. Seeing as this stuff is advertised for diesels, will it harm passenger car gasoline engines? I read about possible incompatibilities with catalytic converters.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...0w-#Post4327242
Check out this recent thread.

Thanks for this
smile.gif

Supposedly high Zinc and Phosphorous are bad for catalytic converters, now i know i'm only talking from my anecdotal evidence but i have never heard of anybody having problems with their cat/s because of the oil they were using.

The T6 topic has been beaten to death here. It's got an SM rating for gasoline vehicles. I wouldn't use it, out of caution, in an engine which burns a lot of oil for fear of fouling the conveter(maybe). I have Gen 4 Camry in which I have used T6 for about 150,000 miles with no cat problems. YMMV.

Last edited:
Don't think it meets OEM of <10 NOACK - If that does not matter - go for it ... (or other HDEO at that point) ...

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Supposedly high Zinc and Phosphorous are bad for catalytic converters, now i know i'm only talking from my anecdotal evidence but i have never heard of anybody having problems with their cat/s because of the oil they were using.

100%

Catalytic converters have been lasting 100,000+ miles for 40 years

It's fine. Most turbo car owners swear by it. Go to any subaru wrx/sti forum and you will see everyone talking about how it's the best oil for these cars. Same with the mazdaspeed guys as well. I ran t6 in my big turbo mazdaspeed6 and it was excellent. Reduced smoking and oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
It's fine. Most turbo car owners swear by it. Go to any subaru wrx/sti forum and you will see everyone talking about how it's the best oil for these cars. Same with the mazdaspeed guys as well. I ran t6 in my big turbo mazdaspeed6 and it was excellent. Reduced smoking and oil consumption.

My neighbor is big time into the turbo Subaru community all of his buddies hang out all summer and work on there cars next door. 95% of them use Shell RT 6 synthetic without issue they say it reduces oil consumption and all state good UOA reports. Interesting to note is that the reason most switched some years ago was several cars spun bearings running 30 weight oils in both synthetic and conventional. Now no reported spun bearings running the 5w40 Shell synthetic and no cat converter failures to report.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver

Of course, it's not "worse" than any of the A3/B4 options. For those who are really worried, there are E6 options available from Shell, Mobil, and Chevron, not to mention Castrol, though theirs isn't technically dual rated, for some strange reason. In any event, I suppose these options do address my occasional musings for a higher HTHS oil with reduced phosphorus, without forcing someone to go to something like a dexos2 oil that might be expensive and available only in quart bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back