Which domestic V6 is best

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Of the following 3 engines which do you prefer and why?

Chevy 3.6 VVT
Chrysler Pentastar 3.6
Ford 3.7

Thanks

this question is pointless without at least considering the transmission as well.
not like the engine lives in a vacuum by itself.

Tough to call. You'd have to find someone who owned all three. I currently own a Wrangler with the 3.6 Pentastar engine and I'm very happy with it. It is the most powerful V6 I have owned to date.

I don't know anything about the Ford 3.7 so I can not comment on that, but GM's 3.6 had lots of timing chain issues that are $$$ to fix (may be resolved by now), and they are pretty hard on oil. The Pentastar is a nice engine, it did feel a bit doggy in the Town and Country I recently drove though, until you get it up into the higher rev range. I also have heard multiple Pentastars with a nasty ticking noise especially noticeable at idle. I heard one last night in fact.

Originally Posted By: Rand
this question is pointless without at least considering the transmission as well.
not like the engine lives in a vacuum by itself.

I would be looking for a domestic with an A/T.....like a late model Impala or Chrysler or Taurus type car...

Hands down the Pentastar. Plenty of power, it makes its HP up high in the RPMs but there's plenty of it. 2013 and newer ones have proven reliable.

There is a lot of truth to what Rand says. However, I have a Ford 3.7 and a Pentastar 3.2 (smaller version of the 3.6). All I can say is that both engines impress me, the transmissions in both do not for various reasons. If I had to pick one over all, it would be the Pentastar merely because it is still port injected instead of DI like the Ford's. The Pentastar seems to run smoother, be pretty powerful for its size, and seems to be easy on oil too.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Pentastar. Not DI yet.

I was very happy about that too.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Hands down the Pentastar. Plenty of power, it makes its HP up high in the RPMs but there's plenty of it. 2013 and newer ones have proven completely reliable.

Fixed it for you

Hands down the Pentastar. Plenty of power, it makes its HP up high in the RPMs but there's plenty of it. 2013 and newer ones have proven reliable.

Are they proven or are they simply too new to know?

3.5L have been around - son has 165k and has only changed timing belt per maintenance schedule ...
(Runs M1 10w30 HM)

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I'd say proven. 2 years ago it was known all over that the 2011 and 2012 Pentastars had defective cylinder heads and had many issues. 2013 and on has fixed that with a new design. The Grand Caravans are used in fleet/ taxi applications all over and rack up plenty of miles.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I'd say proven. 2 years ago it was known all over that the 2011 and 2012 Pentastars had defective cylinder heads and had many issues. 2013 and on has fixed that with a new design. The Grand Caravans are used in fleet/ taxi applications all over and rack up plenty of miles.

Interesting. Thanks

The 3.6 with the zf 8speed for rwd applications is gold.

The 3.2 with the zf 9speed is good but kind of clunky with trying to eek out the last mpg.

Originally Posted By: Rand
The 3.6 with the zf 8speed for rwd applications is gold.

The 3.2 with the zf 9speed is good but kind of clunky with trying to eek out the last mpg.

Spot on analysis. I've had several "flash" updates to the 9 speed; still not a smooth experience. We average 25 combined on my wife's daily driving though. On long road trips we've gotten in the 30's. I'm very satisfied with that with AWD and a V6 with lots of power for merging and passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back