What are chevy dealers using for oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a supercharged CTS-V that a large chevy dealer had just done an oil change on. I was considering draining the oil and running it in a beater car that is due for a change. Any idea what 5w30 they put in there? I have some Pennzoil Ultra and a M1 Filter just waiting to go in/on.

I believe they do vary. Why not call up the service department, ask for the service manager and see what they say. With a car like that I'm sure they used a dexos approved oil in it.

I would call the dealer and ask. I just purchased a vehicle from a southwest Missouri Cadillac-Chevrolet dealership group based in Oklahoma) and they use Mobil 1 for all their oil changes. I was surprised that it was not AC Delco bulk.

Local uses ACDelco semi synthetic, synthetic, and conventional. At any given time Delco oil could be Mobil, Shell, Phillips, or Smitty's Supply, and we've had all on the shelf at one point or another.

At the moment were stocked up on the last of our Napa semi synthetic, and ACDelco semi synthetic 5W-30 and conventional 10W-30, Phillips blended.

Last edited:
Every GM car that's still under warranty requires dexos, including your CTS-V. Therefore, the dealer probably used something that meets the dexos standards. It may be ACDelco or it may be some other bulk oil, but it is almost certainly perfectly OK to use in your Cadillac with no problems for the full OCI suggested by the computer. You can wait until it tells you to change the oil to put in your PUP and M1 filter
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I believe they do vary. Why not call up the service department, ask for the service manager and see what they say. With a car like that I'm sure they used a dexos approved oil in it.

Yes, I suspect they do vary quiet a bit. Aside from AC Delco stuff, which they should all have on hand, at least one dealer here really pushes Castrol Edge gold bottle.

Quote:
Any idea what 5w30 they put in there? I have some Pennzoil Ultra and a M1 Filter just waiting to go in/on.

Hopefully it's motor oil.
lol.gif

My dad worked in the body shop of a GM dealer not too long ago. Next to his bay is where they did the oil changes. I remember seeing blue drums of AC Delco synthetic blend Dexos 5w30 oil. It had a pump and a hose connected to it that measured how much oil was poured out of it into the engine.

Most stuff 2011 or newer that call for 5w30 gets ACdelco Dexos oil. Part #19293000

Last edited:
Thank you guys, great information. I will call the service department and see what they say, and post a reply.

The new quart bottles say synthetic and them. It doesn't indicate if its a synthetic blend or full synthetic, but I would assume its a full synthetic.

I would be willing to bet than most dealers just have bulk oil from a local jobber. I have seen dealers using Pennz, Mobil, et al that meets the dexos1 spec. There is no requirement that dealers use AC Delco brand. I suppose they would, if it can be had cheaper than what they can get from a local jobber. The dealers near me, only vehicles that call for something special get stuff out of a quart bottle. Usually that is M1. I don't keep up with it since I have never used a dealer for an oil service. Unless there is a major issue, my vehicles never see the dealer again once I drive them off the lot. My latest, a 2015 2500 hasn't seen the dealer since I bought it over 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back