News: "Safe" to use LowSaps oils U.S. gas engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read this a while back. I have a lot of low saps oil that I'll probably use in a few years. By then, most large refineries should be at 10ppm

U.S. refiner postponement of cleaner fuel output comes with costs

While you can use it now in gasoline engines, with an unknown sulfur content at the moment in gasoline itself, you just don't know when the TBN will be depleted unless you do consistent UOAs. 4,000 - 5,000 miles would be my OCI if I had no choice, but to use it. In a few years when they've run out of credits and have to comply, I might run it longer, but with the amount of oil most BITOGers have stocked up, I doubt a couple thousand miles more or less would make a difference (unless you really hate changing oil).

With 10ppm sulfur fuel and the high starting TBN (10+) of A3/B4 oils you can do 10k intervals without blinking. Potentially 15-18-20000 in favourable conditions and dependant on car. (not severe service)

Originally Posted By: barryh
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

....Any comments on whether or not that now allows LL-04 and 229.51 oils to be used in gasoline engines in the U.S.?

Honest question because I don't know the answer.

Why would anyone want to run low SAPS 229.51 in a gasoline engine rather than higher SAPS 229.5. I know that if you have a gasoline engine serviced by Mercedes they will probably use 229.51 because that's what they stock but I'm suspicious of anything that been compromised to meet a need that is not it's primary function. Are the additives inn 229.51 really as good as the additives in 229.5 ?

Years ago Lubrizol stated that intake deposits are lower when using a Mid/Low-SAPS oil. DI engines are more prone to this type of deposit.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Got a LOT of Pentosin Pento High Performance 5W-30 Full-synthetic for only $2.00 a quart at autozone!

Nice to hear it's now "safe" to use due to the new 10ppm ULSRUG

Linc
You can go ahead and use the Pento-HP right now-it is full SAPS. The Pento-SUPER PERFORMANCE is the mid/low SAPs Pentosin
Steve

From what I have read, the new sulfur ppm limits are not a hard requirement. Refiners can purchase credits to offset production of gasoline over the limit, so you never quite know what is going in your tank. I would stick with what your engine calls for. i.e. don't use LL-04 in place of LL-01 because of the new regs.

I wouldn't expect euro-quality gasoline under Mr. Pruitt anytime soon. Which is fine by me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back