Bought another CTS-V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up this clean CTS-V with 40k on it. One owner, garage kept, it still has Elvis saved on the music hard drive. Clean record, well maintained, new brakes, newer tires with equivalent wear. Clear bra over the front end. I paid someone to inspect it on my behalf first. They took high resolution photos of any imperfections then from Philadelphia to St. Louis I went. I have been looking at these V's for two years and patiently waiting for an ultra rare 1 year color (Blue Diamond Tricoat) to come up for sale online, I had never seen a black one with the light interior before. I thought it was a very attractive combination, enough to end my search for a blue diamond. They are always black on black and that's not me. Infact I usually don't even like black cars but I love this combination and the fact that this isn't the black metallic, it is straight black, it will be easy to color match any future mishaps. It has the air conditioned Recaro seats option which sealed the deal. It has every other available option as well, suede package, polished wheels, giant ultra-view sunroof. The car was cleaner in person than I expected and I was expecting alot. The interior smells like a brand new car. She is mine too, no car payments.

32848085561_913e509c16_o.jpg

32128998114_9f4da79c01_o.jpg

Here is a little video I made on a closed course.

I still own the 2005 CTS-V that I bought 5 years ago. Recent photo below. This one is cammed etc and has been a fantastic machine, it just does everything right, except snow. I will probably keep it for a couple months, see if any friends or family are interested in it. I also want to make sure I actually like this new V enough before I sell my old one. I love the old one.

32848561971_dde2307953_o.jpg

Nice- the CTS-V and ATS-V are the only Cadillacs I would want to own; congrats!

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Nice car. I would've got the manual gearbox though. Is the gas mileage on the old one as bad as the LSA?

I considered a manual because I am the guy who doesn't care if it's slower and will sit in bumper to bumper traffic and not complain. They are tough to find though, only about 10% were stick. That being said, I've never owned a fast auto before and was curious if I would like it. A launch on a warm street in one of these with an auto is frighteningly fast. And it does strike me so far as a car you will want two hands on the wheel for after some power mods are on it. It is a handful, it likes to kick out.

My old one with the cam and a aggressive tune gets incredibly good fuel economy. Like, makes me think about keeping it and getting rid of my beater cars. Even running it hard with short trips I'm still at 20 mpg average. Best full tank average 29.8 mpg. Driving 85-95 mph on a trip to Denver I averaged 26.5 for the whole ride. It gets 22 mpg cruising at 100 mph. I was into the ecomodder thing with another car so I know how to squeeze out extra economy that seems like voodoo magic to most people I know.

The LSA is easy to get bad mileage with, that low compression is a killer. But so far it does respond to light footing and thinking ahead that helps you do better than everyone else with fuel economy. Right now I'm at 16.4 with lots of wide open runs, several "take me for a ride" trips, and some fast highway driving. I reset it for a 100 mile drive and thought I would see how I can really do if I pay attention. I averaged 22mpg. I have some tricks up my sleeve that will improve MPG. I'll bump the tire pressure up from high 20's to about 40 psi. I'll mess with the factory tune and lean it out some at cruising speeds, increase timing, and set aggressive deceleration fuel cutoff settings. At the end of the day it will still be a fuel sucking monster. I have a AFE cold air to put on it, some people claim they pick up economy removing the very restrictive stock air intake.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Nice- the CTS-V and ATS-V are the only Cadillacs I would want to own; congrats!

Agreed. I considered an ATS-V because it is the same exact size and weight of my old CTS-V.

Love the interior, that's my dream car, Looks like your patience looking for a perfect one paid off, congrats and enjoy your new ride!

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy

c8eda50b7747274bbb7149d75c32c501fd7710b6d46a3da1daa3a8056ab656fa.jpg

150mph? And no gas in the car either? Was that so you woundn't burn to death if the car crashed?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

c8eda50b7747274bbb7149d75c32c501fd7710b6d46a3da1daa3a8056ab656fa.jpg

150mph? And no gas in the car either? Was that so you woundn't burn to death if the car crashed?

I was trying to get to the gas station as fast as possible... GM set the gauges in these cars to leave you alot of fuel at the bottom. There was about 5-6 gallons in the tank, pump will stay cool.

Closed course = Interstate 80 in Pennsylvania
smile.gif
or possibly Interstate 476 from Philadelphia northbound.

Beautiful cars, very jealous. Being a lifelong Ford owner, I would have no issue owning a CTS-V or Chevy SS. I still think it would have been awesome if Chevy kept making the SS and just reskin the CTS with the current SS drivetrain.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Closed course = Interstate 80 in Pennsylvania
smile.gif
or possibly Interstate 476 from Philadelphia northbound.

Further south and rural at 2am on a week day. Not a soul on the road. It seems a little hairy to most people, I've been in road legal vehicles keeping up with traffic and been more nervous about my safety. This car is smooth and confident at higher speeds.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Beautiful cars, very jealous. Being a lifelong Ford owner, I would have no issue owning a CTS-V or Chevy SS. I still think it would have been awesome if Chevy kept making the SS and just reskin the CTS with the current SS drivetrain.

I had a torch red 10th anniversary 03 Cobra for two years prior to the 05 V and a 99 Cobra prior to the 03. The 99/03 is similarly different to the V1 and V2. I was considering 13 gt500s now that they've dropped into the 40's. In the end the V won out because of amenities and the magnetic ride makes the PA roads feel so smooth in Tour mode.

Hey Gasbuggy.... I ain't giving you a hard time at all.... You are like me. When I go for a quick speed run... It's desolate, 2-4 am and far safer than doing it that way. Nothing wrong with doing that when you are all by yourself with no crossing traffic, no exits nearby and the road is straight as an arrow for a long distance.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey Gasbuggy.... I ain't giving you a hard time at all.... You are like me. When I go for a quick speed run... It's desolate, 2-4 am and far safer than doing it that way. Nothing wrong with doing that when you are all by yourself with no crossing traffic, no exits nearby and the road is straight as an arrow for a long distance.

Oh, cool, I can't always tell when reading typed words. Loved the meme by the way. And if someone was annoyed I would understand that too. I took some precautions. I ran around a loop twice between exits to make sure everything was clear.

That being said, I've never owned a fast auto before and was curious if I would like it. A launch on a warm street in one of these with an auto is frighteningly fast. And it does strike me so far as a car you will want two hands on the wheel for after some power mods are on it. It is a handful, it likes to kick out.

I was the same way with my M235i automatic; all of my previous daily driver/track rats have been manuals. As it turns out the ZF 8HP works great on both street and track. Even with traction control it will roast the rear tires if you give it more than half throttle from a standing start- I'm reliving my misspent street racing youth...

Im inclined to do the sane thing when the current model gets to agoodprice point with low miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back