Wing Suit BASE Jumping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My knee jerk reaction is I would love to try it, but I know I'd likely not do it. The helmet cam vids are fun to watch though !!

CRAZY
crazy2.gif

This is great stuff! I'm in my mid 60s now and too old to attempt things like this now. I tried skydiving in my '20s and loved it.

I wish I could turn back the clock. This wingsuit stuff would very much interest me.

Check out this one! Now, this guy is a too crazy. I would not attempt this particular act, but the flying shown by the OP would be reasonably safe.

Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C_jPcUkVrM

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
This is great stuff! I'm in my mid 60s now and too old to attempt things like this now. I tried skydiving in my '20s and loved it.

I wish I could turn back the clock. This wingsuit stuff would very much interest me.

Check out this one! Now, this guy is a too crazy. I would not attempt this particular act, but the flying shown by the OP would be reasonably safe.

Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C_jPcUkVrM

Dude is insane !!That is keen knowledge of the flight characteristics of that one particular wing suit coupled with a whole lot of experience (in that particular suit) and a huge set of brass ones !! And a big helping of reckless disregard for one's life, LoL ...

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
My knee jerk reaction

No pun intended, right???????

That guy Jeb is an idiot. If I thought I was going to die doing it I wouldn't consider wingsuiting. IMO, wingsuiting can be reasonably safe, probably even safer than riding my road bicycles during high speed descents or racing in a pack.

Guys like him are what turn off people to extreme sports. The object, IMO, is to be extreme and enjoy the thrill - not kill yourself. Jeees!

Scott

Why would any one want to jump off of a perfectly good cliff or Bridge or even a properly functioning air craft?

I am a licensed Sky Diver (means I can hire a pilot anywhere in the world and he won't get sued if something happens). Statistically speaking it is quite safe (if you want to risk your life, get on a horse). But with regard to this brand of craziness, the vast majority of sky diving fatalities (something like 80%) are due to aircraft accidents on takeoff.

In other words, once you leave the aircraft you are about five times more likely to survive the day under your canopy than you were when you got in the aircraft.

This is an extremely dangerous activity whether you apply an obstacle course to it or not. Just as a layman, I wouldn't equate this in any way with skydiving and the fatality figures probably bear that out. Considering the small pool of people who engage in this activity, I'd say that seven wingsuiting deaths in 2016 would tell you it's appropriate for very few people. Especially for people who just want to "try it".

I would think that you don't just take up directly the wing suit antics, that in fact you would need to have significant experience in base jumping first?

I think the first question to ask might be how does base jumping with a parachute translate to using a wing suit?? I would assume the correlation is low where it counts the most...and although someone might have experience base jumping, wing suiting becomes its own learning process that's considerably more dangerous in even its "safest" mode.

I remember hang gliding when the mantra was "don't fly higher than you're willing to fall"...this would be "don't fly faster than the speed you're willing to crash into the side of a cliff". Doesn't seem to work for the average person....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back