The best commercial string trimmer money can buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think it's the FS90R.

(Unpopular opinion)

I worked lawn service for 3 years. Couldn't ask for more from a trimmer.

Had a Husqvarna 322L that was alright, but needed too much TLC.

Had a 4-stroke Honda that was SWEET. Thing ran so smooth. So much torque. But it was HEAVY. Too heavy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
^ And why would that be ?

It's just a really reliable, easy to start, smooth running trimmer.

Great power, isn't too heavy, really balanced.

You can spend more on a trimmer, but I don't think it's warranted.

I have an older Echo before the environmental upgrades. A local landscaper said to keep it going as long as you can because they really run well, not like the new ones.

The only thing I've done is rebuild the carb once after 15 years and run Red Line 2-stroke racing oil with some Chevron PEA.

Make sure to use one frequently. Don't let it sit for a log time even if you just warm it up and shut if off. Oh, and keep the cooling fins and the air filter clean and change the fuel filter that flops around in the fuel tank.

Maruyama. Made in Japan super quality. Makes Honda, Echo, Stihl and everything else look cheap. Like using a diecast aluminum clutch housing, polished solid steel driveshaft, threaded shaft, chromemoly helical cut gears supported by sealed ball bearings, hard chromed cylinder, forged chromemoly crank and connecting rod, stainless steel muffler. My brother bought one last year and it's impressive. It doesn't have the stupid top top safety bar you gotta push down on to give it gas. You can pull up on the throttle and press in a fast idle button to let it warm up on its own if wanted. They have a few different sizes, up to a 42 CC monster.

http://maruyama-us.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2016_MARU._OPE_Brochure_1-40Pgs_10.30.15_LO.pdf

The best sounds expensive and then I'd feel twice as bad after slinging it over the back fence ...

Best commercial trimmer? The BEST will be ergonomic and lightweight first and foremost. Echo SRM210 is a gold standard in lightweight and ergonomic.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The best commercial string trimmer money can buy

Is nothing more than opinion.

Stihl FS100RX. Will be buying a 3rd shortly. Power to weight is magnificent. The 4-MIX engines get a bad rap from some, but we are sold on them. Superb commercial trimmer.
RE: the Maruyama suggestion above---see if you have a dealer nearby. We have a Maruyama backpack blower that is wonderful...would definitely give their trimmers a try if the closest dealer wasn't a 2+ hour drive. They may well be the best built, just haven't tried running one/ergonomics.
Whatever you get, be sure that it will accept a "Speed-Feed head" designed by Shindaiwa, and you'll thank me later.

Had a Stihl and an Echo. The Stihl was about $150. The Echo was about $220. The Echo is a lot better. More powerful, heavier line, runs. The Stihl is at the dump.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Had a Stihl and an Echo. The Stihl was about $150. The Echo was about $220. The Echo is a lot better. More powerful, heavier line, runs. The Stihl is at the dump.

That may be, but he is asking about COMMERCIAL trimmers. This is like saying corvettes are not as good as mustangs because you had a Cruz that wasn't that great.

When I worked in lawn maintenance 15+ years ago, everyone in the crew fought to grab the shindiawa T270 trimmers. They were heavier, but seemed to have more torque than the Redmax trimmers which seemed trouble free and lighter.
When I bought my house I went to find that model and was told it was being discontinued. I found a dealer "that had a few stashed in the back the he was saving for his commercial clients" He sold me one but told me I had to pay cash??.

I've had great luck with Echo too. (I've heard Echo now owns Shindiawa)
I've found many Echo srm210 trimmers put to the curb often needing a $20 ebay carburetor or the plug wire has become disconnected in the boot.

We've been using the honda 4 stroke 25cc engines as replacement engines on equipment where I work and I've been a little disappointed. We've had issues with the crankshafts randomly breaking with low hours.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana

Can the echo use brush blades?

...and as for the "best" it is "whoever has the most service dealers in the area" Time is money and you cannot afford not to have a service shop(s) that are open. Full time techs are invaluable.

Last edited:
My dad had a gas powered Weedeater Featherlite he'd bought at Sam's. Best trimmer I've ever used. It was my first experience with Amsoil. I'd met an Amsoil rep and he gave me some samples of their 2 stroke oil. This was back in the 1990s sometime.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
...gas powered Weedeater Featherlite he'd bought at Sam's. Best trimmer I've ever used.

995d621e9201e4c505508b900a0166ec.jpg

Ive got a husquvarna trimmer and backpack blower, and a stihl string edger. Both are fine. The husqvarna blower is apparently really a redmax. All start first pull and run great. Ive had grest experiences with echo stuff too.

I had a Makita for nearly 20 years and put it through some hard times. Only thing that stopped it was I broke the trigger off myself then when fixing I made it worse. Lesson learned as I won't likely find a suitable replacement. It weighed 9.5 lbs but worked like a much heavier unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back