Dandruff Shampoo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the shampoo the cause or major contributer of the dandruff? (ie an oxymoron). In any case, use a mild shampoo that cleans hair and doesn't add unneeded chemicals. If your scalp is "tingling" after use, that's probably not an ideal shampoo. When I used H&S in my teens, I had lots of dandruff. Changed shampoos and nothing since.

Head and Shoulders works for me. I just have to leave in on my scalp for a few minutes before rinsing. None of the over the counter shampoos worked for my wife. She uses a prescription shampoo called Clobetasol Propionate 0.05% (Generic for Clobex shampoo). Fortunately my insurance pays for it 100%.

How bad is it? Start with Head and Shoulders trial size. If that doesn't work go with a tar shampoo. My grandfather used a tar shampoo 40 years ago. It worked but it stunk. Maybe they figured out how to make them smell better these days.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Neutrogena T gel. Tar shampoo. Pricey though. This is for a more moderate case of dandruff.

used this for years. the only thing that worked for me.
plus, I've always been a startrek nerd, and in the 90's they got Worf(Michael Dorn) to do the commercials! If it's good enough for the son of Mogh, it's good enough for This son of Frank.

then nature took my hair away, and now i just use a "hair and body wash" 1 product for everything. 1 less bottle for the bald guy to worry about.

Last edited:
Nizoral. I don't have a dandruff issue, but maybe twice a year I get a brush with something I'm either allergic too or is triggered by stress and it creates a scalp problem for me. Nizoral was the only thing that seemed to make a difference. Now I wash with it once a week, haven't had any issues in a long time. It also helps prevent hair loss, I've got enough hair for two people but at 30 I don't mind doing some preventative maintenance.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
A razor, some shaving cream and a little buffing will also get rid of the dandruff.

Mr Clean eh !!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Your brand preference ? Does it work ?

I started using just the conditioner only years ago and have not had any problems with a dry itchy scalp.

I got a prescription for Ketoconazole 2% shampoo from my dermatologist. It's basically just a stronger version of Nizoral and is actually cheaper after insurance. I use it about once a week and it seems to work well.

I've tried a bunch of them, from cheap to fancy ones. In my experience, the cheap Dove anti-dundruff one works just as well, plus I dig the smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back