Rutgers barred students from career fair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rutgers has egg on their face. Not the blue suited students. Life lesson for Rutgers.

If you can't read and follow the instructions which were made available to you prior to the interviews, you can't be interviewed.

Did I say "instructions"? Sorry, that should have been REQUIREMENTS.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
It's a completely assinine requirement for a job fair that does nothing but make life harder for those who are still struggling to make it.

There are indeed times in the professional world where this will count, but it's over-the-top to be swinging this at people going to a job fair.

A person who is struggling just to make the tuition cannot be expected to pull a new suit out of their rear.

Charities are nice, but very rarely work quickly enough, and change faces everyday. When I was working with the Salvation Army to help people get jobs, there were 5-7 contact cards for suits at any given time. These cards changed faster than in a poker game, and 5 of them were dead-ends at any given time.

Thrift stores have cheap suits, but they are not free.

Just a horribly in appropriate time or place to pull this kind of stupid stunt.

I agree 1000000 %

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Quote:
The university implemented the dress code after feedback from employers, according to the report. In previous years, Rutgers students failed to present themselves well at the event, the university told the student newspaper.

A flier with the dress code provided specific detail on what student should and should not wear.

It sounds pretty simple. The school was getting negative feedback regarding the students choice of clothing. The school sent out some information regarding dress code requirements. Some students were so incapable that they couldn't even follow the simple directions and were turned away. Now the buttercups are crying because of their own incompetence.

In some ways- I agree. But, the goal here is to look your professional best-but even this is a bit narrowed down for college kids. They don't have to be loud and proud, just make it nice a simple for all. Those who choose not to follow get weeded out-just like in real life.

This type of anti-employee corporate stupidity is exactly the kind of thing Rutgers should be against, as opposed to going completely Nazi about the whole thing and making it even worse.

Besides, we must keep in mind that the reason given for this policy is an inability to differentiate between professional shades of blue and unprofessional shades of blue without using a spectropolarimeter.

If there is one thing I learned from my time in the corporate world, it is that stupid excuses always follow stupid acts, and vice versa.

My former employer did have a color that was required to be worn into the hospital. It was not a harsh or difficult requirement to be met. .. However in this instance the school made a mistake in being WAY too particular about what colors should be allowed. That was the foolhardiness of their actions here.

No, the foolhardiness there was NOT a single person in the authority chain who had common sense. One would assume that somebody on that chain should have realized how stupid that rule was. May be they all realized the stupidity but the culture was such that no one could say "emperor has no clothes" because the fear or the reprisal.

That is the real story here no whether some stupid rule was enacted or forced to follow.

Rutgers President in a suit that would not pass the dress code.

rutgers-university-celebrates-merge-with-umdnj-196902ce94497dd8.jpg

He's being unprofessional and should be removed from his position.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato

whistle.gif

Unless you used a spectropolarimeter to verify this, you have absolutely no right to say this.

If the top brass at Rutgers can't determine such a thing without a spectropolarimeter, what makes you think you can?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
This all makes sense, but turning kids away over dark blue vs. dark grey is just asinine. Rutgers should be focused on helping their students find jobs, not on teaching them about picking nits.

It's not about the suit color, it's about teaching them attention to detail. If an applicant can't get that right for whatever reason, what other corners will they cut? They either learned a good lesson, or are blaming someone else for their mistake.

Or hey, maybe they, you know, couldn't drop $250 (or more) on a new suit, because they just didn't have the money! (Because, maybe...they just bought a suit, which anyone sane would consider perfectly fine.)

It's a completely assinine requirement for a job fair that does nothing but make life harder for those who are still struggling to make it.

There are indeed times in the professional world where this will count, but it's over-the-top to be swinging this at people going to a job fair.

A person who is struggling just to make the tuition cannot be expected to pull a new suit out of their rear.

Charities are nice, but very rarely work quickly enough, and change faces everyday. When I was working with the Salvation Army to help people get jobs, there were 5-7 contact cards for suits at any given time. These cards changed faster than in a poker game, and 5 of them were dead-ends at any given time.

And some people simply cannot find secondhand clothes. Offhand, how many suit jackets did you get in size XXXXL? How about XXXL-Tall? Maybe a XXXXXL? (That's not a typo.) How about pants with a 38" inseam? (Same dude as the 5X shirt.) Perhaps a pair of nice wingtips in 18EEEE?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'm also sorry for the poor suckers that didn't bother to pay enough attention to show up in the right color, as well as those that chose to ignore the requirement and those that simply couldn't be bothered to show the personal initiative to borrow the correct color suit from a friend.

Assuming their friends also go to Rutgers, there would be a run on the correct color suit for a single-day event. Even the town might have problems keeping them on racks.

I can mail order a suit in my size and selected color and have it in my hands in less than 3 days.

And pay how much?

You must be easier to fit than most people I know. Offhand, I need a XXL-tall. My father in law fits in NOTHING off the rack...his shoulders are too wide for a 3XL, but the hem on it comes to his knees.

whistle.gif

Unless you used a spectropolarimeter to verify this, you have absolutely no right to say this.

If the top brass at Rutgers can't determine such a thing without a spectropolarimeter, what makes you think you can?
whistle.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

And pay how much?

You must be easier to fit than most people I know.

Nope.

Macy's sells men's suit separates starting at $14.99. If they can't afford to buy one of those,they have no business being in college. They need to be working.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

And some people simply cannot find secondhand clothes. Offhand, how many suit jackets did you get in size XXXXL? How about XXXL-Tall? Maybe a XXXXXL? (That's not a typo.) How about pants with a 38" inseam? (Same dude as the 5X shirt.) Perhaps a pair of nice wingtips in 18EEEE?

Sounds like a pro football player or a mutant human.

Actually, that is three different people I work with. First guy doesn't look THAT big...but he is 6' with broad shoulders, and needs a 4XL. (A 3X is too tight in the shoulders.) Second guy is my boss...nothing more than his being 6'5". Third guy is just huge...6'8", about 370lbs (none of it fat). He was 6' tall as a HS freshman and wearing men's sizes from age 11. His whole family is big guys...his grandfather was 6'10", his father is the "small" guy in the family at 6'4" and about 300lbs. (Seriously: he is the shortest of his three brothers.)

As a junior in college I attended a career fair that I only became aware of with about 30 minutes to go. I was wearing an old college sweatshirt from a different school and was somewhat wet because of the rain. Managed to get a pretty good summer job out of it.

I have done college recruiting for my organization for years and I think it's extremely unlikely that any employers are feeding Rutgers with specific requirements for suit color, or that any of them would support such a thing as some sort of "screening". You screen by reading resumes and talking to people, not by seeing if they jump through some arbitrary hoops you've established.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back