Head gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Lubener
You can drill a small hole (1/16 inch) on the flange of the thermostat to allow any trapped air to easily slip by

Such modifications are ill-advised, and not terribly well thought out. Here's the Civic thermostat:
33340S-1_ANG_A.jpg

Notice anything that's already present on it?

Not all stats have that hole and it has worked for me for a long time with engines prone to air pockets.. So I do not believe it is ill advised, unless you drill a 1/4 inch hole in it.

Last edited:
i have some asian cooolant .,can i mix with the green all makes all models stuff until i get this fixed?

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
pressure tested twice, loosing coolant and air initially in system

Well, I'm guessing you've got a leak somewhere that's not appearing on a cold pressure test. Not unusual with expansion and contraction of parts. Mention this to your mechanic. If he still can't find it, get a new mechanic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ndfergy
pressure tested twice, loosing coolant and air initially in system

Well, I'm guessing you've got a leak somewhere that's not appearing on a cold pressure test. Not unusual with expansion and contraction of parts. Mention this to your mechanic. If he still can't find it, get a new mechanic.

agreed. thanks

Now that you are 100% sure that it is the head gasket, you have nothing to lose in trying each and every snake oil before giving up and opening the engine.

The snake oils clog the heater core, I went to 2 mechanics and they both said head gasket

Last edited:
The snake oils clog the heater core, I went to 2 mechanics and they both said head gasket

That is true with the other products but the one I posted does NOT clog anything and it's the only one that you do not have to temporarily remove the thermostat when adding it. That says a lot.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

That is true with the other products but the one I posted does NOT clog anything and it's the only one that you do not have to temporarily remove the thermostat when adding it. That says a lot.

I have alumn heads, its this good with my Honda?

Mixed reviews are on everything. It's a risk to take but cheap if it works. I have used it and it worked...if it doesn't they refund your money. Autozone has it.

How is the rest of the vehicle? Given that you will have to do the head gasket job with a shop, there is never a guarantee that they will do great job. Stories of botched had job gasket are galore. I mean the longevity of the job done by your typical shop. Most shops don't make too much money on that job. It ties down their bay for hours or days but do not get lots of dough from the customer to justify that. Remember, head gasket jobs are normally NOT done for top paying customers. In the shop talk, it is is no gravy job. They would much rather be doing routine 30K/60K service or brake jobs which gets the vehicle in and out and pays handsoemly. The guy who does the short straw to do the head gasket *will* take short cuts. He just has to make sure it does not come back within 90 days or so. My view may be little jaundiced but it is not out of norm given the generic automotive repair industry.

Given that judicious use of snake oil would be your best choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
How is the rest of the vehicle? Given that you will have to do the head gasket job with a shop, there is never a guarantee that they will do great job. Stories of botched had job gasket are galore. I mean the longevity of the job done by your typical shop. Most shops don't make too much money on that job. It ties down their bay for hours or days but do not get lots of dough from the customer to justify that. Remember, head gasket jobs are normally NOT done for top paying customers. In the shop talk, it is is no gravy job. They would much rather be doing routine 30K/60K service or brake jobs which gets the vehicle in and out and pays handsoemly. The guy who does the short straw to do the head gasket *will* take short cuts. He just has to make sure it does not come back within 90 days or so. My view may be little jaundiced but it is not out of norm given the generic automotive repair industry.

Given that judicious use of snake oil would be your best choice.

You're shouldn't generalize like that.

Well for starters, the actual mechs on this board don't pull those kinds of antics...

No doubt there are mechs that do- especially when playing the warranty game where pay can be even lower, but I don't think that a blanket type statement should be applied here. Remember, not all mechanics slither instead of walk.

DO NOT use those mechanic in a can sealers. You will regret it.

Fix the actual problem (head gasket).

Those sealers WILL clog the heater core, and water passages in the head. I've seen engines that were clogged so bad with this stuff the whole block needed to be replaced. The car wouldn't run for more than 10 minutes without overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back