Laptop suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a 13" to 17" windows laptop with USB 3.1 gen2 and thunderbolt 3.

I would prefer a 14" or 15".

I have only found one HP.

Hard to do a search on that feature.

A low priced one so when it messes up or gets a Virus you toss it and buy another.

Spectre x360 ticks all the features - 15" 4k, USB-C, Thunderbolt 3, 512GB SSD, 16GB Ram, Kaby Lake, touch + pen. It's a solid machine and easily as good as my previous MacBooks.

Got a Mag framed Dell off eBay and changed HD - runs like new and docks on same station as my company Dell ...

My 1st PC was a Mac SE30 ... it was so easy to learn. Then the company forced me to use PC - hard to do in that order. PC became so cheap that I never when back to Apple but for these little things I type on now (2 iPads and two IPhones) ...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Don't ever start using Mac laptops. You'll never want to us a PC laptop ever again.

THIS, cry now or cry later!

Sadly, I use windows at work!

I guess if you get a top of the line Mac they would be OK, but the low/mid range ones my wife buys seem slow-ish to start and then apple makes them slower with newer iOS and then eventually obsolete.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Don't ever start using Mac laptops. You'll never want to us a PC laptop ever again.

This. MAC rules. Pay more now, don't pay annual antivirus fees, and it will last a long time.
thumbsup2.gif

No way would I spend Apple money for a computer. Buy a Dell, if you don't like Windows put Linux Mint on it.

[censored] about the virus [censored] against Windows? What sketchy sites are you all visiting that results in your Windows machine getting a virus?

I would recommend ASUS or Lenovo laptops. I have found to be most reliable over the years and always good specs. You should be able to find one of them with what you require.

I would choose Mac over Windows if I wasn't paying out the arse for the brand. It's not worth it when I can just get a Windows PC for a significantly cheaper price and install any free linux distro and if I was so determined to use a mac, it is just as easy to customize a Linux distro to be so.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
put Linux Mint on it.

What is appealing about a greener version of Ubuntu?

Thanks to itguy08 who actually gave an answer to my post. It was a post looking for a windows laptop model that had specific features, not PC vs MAC or what brand is most reliable.

Keep an eye on dealnews.com and slickdeals.com. Watch laptop trends and pay attention to specs and generation changes. He latest Intel processor generation is Kabylake. This means that the previous generation Skylake-powered laptops are going to be cheaper. If all you need the laptop for is casual use, then an even older processor, like Broadwell, will save you even more bucks. The deal sites listed will list which processor each laptop has.

Macbooks typically have last generation processors, but may be modified to make them apple specific. Apple is not usually forthcoming with this info (processor generation)

Originally Posted By: Donald
Thanks to itguy08 who actually gave an answer to my post. It was a post looking for a windows laptop model that had specific features, not PC vs MAC or what brand is most reliable.

Have you decided ? I need to start looking for something for the wife since she reminded last week that her machine is starting to make weird noises. lol

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

This. MAC rules. Pay more now, don't pay annual antivirus fees, and it will last a long time.
thumbsup2.gif

I agree with this as well. Windows machines seem to die of "bit rot" (they get increasing slow over time). My current Mac is 6 years old and remains fast, much faster than the brand new, quad core, high end HP laptop I recently had to buy for some contract work.

Also too, with virtually daily updates to Windows, how can that give one confidence?

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back