5.7 Hemi oil consumption. Switch to thicker oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 ram 2500. Purchased with 98k, currently at 103k. First qt used in 2500 mi. 2nd qt used in 2100 mi. Using pennzoil platinum 5w20, ms-6395. Should I switch to 5w30? This engine does not have mds. Thanks

I have MDS turned off and have 137k on mine and I am seeing the same thing. Just ran Redline for 9100 and had to add 2 quarts to get there. I also replaced my pcv valve and figured I would clean up the hoses in the system too and see if it helps. I will be switching to 5w-30 PUP next oil change.

I have seen a slight puff of blue smoke once or twice on startup after sitting for a few days or more, so idk if the rings are stuck. Just replaced the spark plugs (there's 16 of them). Would like to avoid the hassle of a piston soak. Pcv is new.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
11yrs old, 103K on it. 5W30 won't hurt it one bit, 10W30 in the summer.

Agreed. Switch to a 30 weight.

Originally Posted By: italian68
I have seen a slight puff of blue smoke once or twice on startup after sitting for a few days or more, so idk if the rings are stuck. Just replaced the spark plugs (there's 16 of them). Would like to avoid the hassle of a piston soak. Pcv is new.

Is the PCV aftermarket, or an OE part? Aftermarket can be real junk, and actually cause oil consumption. I'd also try a piston soak and see if that helps any. Good luck.

Very nice engine (had them) - IMO only on 20 for CAFE - go 5w30 and rock on ...

Originally Posted By: italian68
2006 ram 2500. Purchased with 98k, currently at 103k. First qt used in 2500 mi. 2nd qt used in 2100 mi. Using pennzoil platinum 5w20, ms-6395. Should I switch to 5w30? This engine does not have mds. Thanks

That's actually not high miles for the new gen Hemi. It is a very reliable powerplant.

Almost any weight works well, you likely have oil in the intake manifold from the PCV. Either Italian Tune up or clean it manually and the smoke at start up will diminish.

If you go to a 30 weight the Pennzoil Platinum is a thin 30 weight. You want the thinnest oil that burns at an acceptable rate for your ride. Castrol brands are thicker FWIW.

Try a high mile oil. All you can do is try different things. Magnetec in 20 or 30 could be worth trying.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Your engine is trying to tell you something.
What is that Merk ???

i have about 2100mi on this fill. will change oil when i am a quart low again. that will probably be around 4500mi. then switch to pp 5w30 and monitor consumption again. i would like to be in the 1qt per 3-5k mi range.

i purchased this truck less than a year ago. the 2nd day it was mine i checked the oil and it was 2 qts low. what was in it was very dirty. i immediately changed the oil with pp 5w20. that fill i dumped at 2500mi. i am currently on the 2nd fill at 2100mi with pp 5w20 also. i wouldnt say the motor is sludged out, only just by looking under the oil cap. i must have looked at 50 rams before i bought this one. most looked alot worse under the cap than mine. altho i do have the hemi tick when cold but it completely goes away when warm and its only intermittent when cold.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I do a piston soak first if it were me. If we're talking stuck rings, thicker oil is not going to make anything better.

Isn't there a test for stuck rings? A compression test. Test only cylinders that are most accessible first. That may be enough to detect stuck rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back