Help calculating my final chicken price per lb.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be good at math, but I think I'm rusty. Maybe this is an easier calculation than I think, but I'm hoping one of you will say, "Oh man...that's easy."

smile.gif

I cooked my whole chicken in my crock pot for roughly 5 hours on low. It turned out great and, literally, pulls off the bone!

I started with a 4 lb, 13oz. chicken for $2.19 per pound. After cooking and separating the meat from the carcass, I ended up with just over 2 lb. of usable meat. Rounding slightly, the parts that I'm discarding (skin and bones) weigh 1 lb., 4 oz. and the liquid weighs 15.7 oz.

What's my final price per pound of the consumable meat?

Thank you!

Ed

4.8125 * $2.19 = $10.54

4.8125 lbs whole-
2.58125 lbs guts

2.23125 lbs usable meat.

10.54/2.23125= $4.72/lb usable.

Quick math would be, 5 lbs x $2 = $10 / 2 = $5/lb. Just to get a ballpark initially. Since you don't always want to trust a calculator and figure some things out in your head first.

I'd think that you paid $10.54 for the chicken which gave you 2 lbs of meat. That makes it $5.27/lb for usable meat.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
you don't always want to trust a calculator

Have you ever seen a calculator malfunction?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

Yes, when it doesn't turn on.
crazy2.gif

Yeah, if it's a low quality one and you press one key and actually other is pressed or it's solar and no light or it runs out of batter. All for fun
thumbsup2.gif

... Have you ever seen a calculator malfunction?
Yes, when I press a key and it fails to react appropriately, or shows two of more of the digit I pressed only once. Never saw one give a wrong answer to a successfully entered problem.

I just buy the buffalo chicken tenders cooked and eat everything. Keeps the math easier...about $5/lb all in and I don't have to cook or clean.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I just buy the buffalo chicken tenders cooked and eat everything. Keeps the math easier...about $5/lb all in and I don't have to cook or clean.

Yeah, I just buy the $5 3 lb rotisserie chickens at BJs, Costco/Sams is probably about the same price.

Yeah, my HP15C went on a bender at one stage...

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Chicken = Cancer. Save yourself. Good luck.

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/poultry/

Too few anti-oxidants in your diet to combat the oxidants that show up is the root cause of cancer. Everyone's exposure and risk factors are different. There are thousands of inputs into that equation. You could eat everything right and recommended by nutritionfacts.org and pass away in your 40's to 60's of cancer.

My grandfather pounded down chicken, beef, sausage, bacon, eggs, peanut butter, junk white bread, boxed donuts several days each week. He also smoked cigars every day. He never got cancer and lived to be 95, passing from complications of a fall. Other parts of his lifestyle were quite healthy. He played 9 holes of golf every day to about the age of 88-90.

Sure, chicken is a "risk" factor, especially if fried, grain only fed, raised in huge pens without be able to move, etc. But you can also find chicken with minimal risk factors too, like on the farms of 100 years ago. Your choice.

List per pound prices of variously sourced chicken in ascending order.

The Tim Horton's Burger King (don't patronize them) 10 nuggets for $1.49 gets you started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back