Classic car guys, what you running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero
Rotella's current API CJ-4 and future API CK-4 products including Rotella T5 will continue to have 1200 ppm of zinc. - The Shell Rotella Team

But to clarify a bit further... Once we start seeing CK-4/SN, then the zinc content will go down below 900 ppm even for the Xw-40 products? That looks to me like what's happened with your competitor's offerings anyway...

Last edited:
Rotella's current API CJ-4 and future API CK-4 products including Rotella T5 will continue to have 1200 ppm of zinc. - The Shell Rotella Team

Excellent
smile.gif
This will keep you a LOT of customers
laugh.gif

Since these are HDEO's, maybe they won't go to SN ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vronline
But to clarify a bit further... Once we start seeing CK-4/SN, then the zinc content will go down below 900 ppm even for the Xw-40 products? That looks to me like what's happened with your competitor's offerings anyway...

That's a good question, particular from a formulator's perspective. What will some of the rationale be, going forward, even where the limits don't apply? What about certain HDEOs we see in oddball grades without formal approvals, even from some of the big names?

I had to try several oils before I found one that worked on my old pontiac. It has a rope rear main seal that spits out lightweight synthetic. I settled on straight 40 conventional as working the best.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Excellent
smile.gif
This will keep you a LOT of customers
laugh.gif

Since these are HDEO's, maybe they won't go to SN ...

Look at the new HDEO oils from Chevron and Mobil and they are CK-4/SN. PDS' show lowered Zinc even on 15w40...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I had to try several oils before I found one that worked on my old pontiac. It has a rope rear main seal that spits out lightweight synthetic. I settled on straight 40 conventional as working the best.

Both my 66 and a friends 70 vert have only seen Rotella 15-40 since being restored over ten years ago. I still add 4oz of Trick-Flow TFS-94000 to my 389 for added protection. The vert's 428 still has the original rope seal from 69 and my 389 now has a BOP Engineering viton rear main seal, no leaks yet.

1zfiydw.jpg

We got very lucky with some old vehicles on the farm over the years, with the quasi-ILSAC 10w-30 options back in the 1980s letting things survive without too much difficulty. Given the prices of synthetics up here back then (much the same as they are now, way too high, but with conventional under $1 a quart), we never took the risk.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: funflyer

Both my 66 and a friends 70 vert have only seen Rotella 15-40 since being restored over ten years ago. I still add 4oz of Trick-Flow TFS-94000 to my 389 for added protection. The vert's 428 still has the original rope seal from 69 and my 389 now has a BOP Engineering viton rear main seal, no leaks yet.

1zfiydw.jpg

Thanks for the Picts. Looking at old iron stirrs my soul. Hopefully I'll eventually get mine looking as nice as those.
19101316.jpg

Mobil1 15w-50 or 5w-50 in all of the old vehicles' engines below with Redline oils in the drivetrain. Mobil's Tech folks indicated that these two oils as well as their M1 M/C oils were suitable for non-roller lifter engines. In 26+ years of using syns in vintage cars, only problems I've experienced were slight increases in leaks...meaning al the old stuff below leaked to begin with and leaked a bit more w/ the better oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back