High Mileage Oil in a Lawn Tractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few quarts of Valvoline Max Life oil, for high mileage engines, that I have left over from a vehicle I traded. Would it be OK to used this oil in an almost new Kohler 7000 series engine in my lawn tractor? It is the correct viscosity.

I have used 10w30 HM oil in my riding mower with no issue. I would run it.

Briggs and Stratton approved 10w30 and 5w30 synthetics for lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. So I would think its ok in that engine as well. I use 5w30 in the snowblower, 10w30 in everything else.

21.gif
why not? The seal sweelers add?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Briggs and Stratton approved 10w30 and 5w30 synthetics for lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. So I would think its ok in that engine as well. I use 5w30 in the snowblower, 10w30 in everything else.

They make a 10w 30? Would you know where I could find it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2civics
Can I run a 5w- 30 in a mower that calls for 10w- 30? Thanks

You can but it may use more oil. So keep a eye on the level and it should be fine.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
Can I run a 5w- 30 in a mower that calls for 10w- 30? Thanks

When the temp reaches 100F, good luck with that. Unless you have a water cooled engine. Most are air cooled and will shear a 5w-30 in minutes at 100 plus temps.

The oil in my (Craftsman) lawn tractor is Briggs and Stratton 5w30 synthetic ...

Originally Posted By: freshcopedawg
I use Mobil 1 HM 10W30 exclusively in my riding and push mowers.

Yes, you could do this exclusively and never have an issue. It's what we used in our commercial equipment until switching to Amsoil 4stroke. Would still go back to M1HM 10w-30 without hesitation if Amsoil was unavailable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back