Off the shelf top-tier comparison stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has probably been posted to some degree, but I'm curious what the consensus is on what oil is comparable to others, that one can typically find at WalMart?

i.e.
1) top - Castrol Edge gold = Mobil1 EP = Pennzoil Plat ULTRA
2) high-mid - Castrol Edge Black = Mobil 1 = Pennzoil Plat = Valvoline Full Syn

etc. etc.

I like what I'm reading about Pennzoil Platinum ULTRA, but seeing as I haven't seen that stocked very often, I wonder if Castrol Edge Gold would be equal.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
I know this has probably been posted to some degree, but I'm curious what the consensus is on what oil is comparable to others, that one can typically find at WalMart?

i.e.

etc. etc.

I like what I'm reading about Pennzoil Platinum ULTRA, but seeing as I haven't seen that stocked very often, I wonder if Castrol Edge Gold would be equal.

Never utilized Castrol but you gotta remember, I toil japanese engines and not domestic so it leans towards SOPUS oil and gets off to them did look for the infamous German Castrol but never found any. It was always the Spain one so I soured on Castrol. Heard the 5w-30 is A3/B4 or some schit. have the PPPP and PUP, the former in 10w and the latter in 5w-30. Good oils but you really have to time it well and with the right filters. You could use Castrol if you want but I never got a wood on it. Valvoline was good but never pressed the perf envelope. Always stuck with PPPP or PUP for the clean cycles anyhow and now use something that rhymes with baker flake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: QSUDFrostedFlake

...but you gotta remember, I toil japanese engines
SOPUS oil and gets off to them
It was always the Spain one so I soured on Castrol.
Heard the 5w-30 is A3/B4 or some schit.
..you really have to time it well and with the right filters.
...but I never got a wood on it.
...but never pressed the perf envelope.
...use something that rhymes with baker flake.

confused.gif

crazy.gif

Maybe I just need more coffee..................

Originally Posted By: Dumc87

i.e.

etc. etc.

What is your OCI length = what percentage is city driving and how long do you keep your vehicles? Depending on your answer, you may only need Supertech or NAPA Syn.

Example: I do 7K OCIs - 50-50 city and highway. So I choose Valvoline, which fits my needs perfectly. Sure, I could stretch it, but I'm first and last owner of my vehicles.

Never utilized Castrol but you gotta remember, I toil japanese engines and not domestic so it leans towards SOPUS oil and gets off to them did look for the infamous German Castrol but never found any. It was always the Spain one so I soured on Castrol. Heard the 5w-30 is A3/B4 or some schit. have the PPPP and PUP, the former in 10w and the latter in 5w-30. Good oils but you really have to time it well and with the right filters. You could use Castrol if you want but I never got a wood on it. Valvoline was good but never pressed the perf envelope. Always stuck with PPPP or PUP for the clean cycles anyhow and now use something that rhymes with baker flake.

Are you experiencing medical issues?

You will never notice any difference between any of the oils in the life of your engine. Any oil from a quality brand with the proper specs will give you all the service life the engine can give. Don't let the marketing fool you.

I've used M1 oils for 39 years in various engines at 10K OCI up to 354K. Never a sign of engine wear, and always very clean engines.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Are you experiencing medical issues?

Whatever he's smoking, I want some.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
I've used M1 oils for 39 years in various engines at 10K OCI up to 354K. Never a sign of engine wear, and always very clean engines.

Out of curiosity, how many months does it take you to get to 10k miles? Also, is that mainly highway driving?

I've seen the pics you've posted of your engine internals and they are perfect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
You will never notice any difference between any of the oils in the life of your engine. Any oil from a quality brand with the proper specs will give you all the service life the engine can give. Don't let the marketing fool you.

I understand it's best to buy oil on an application based choice, I'm just curious what the equivalent oils are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back