10th gen civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

But really, why am I wasting time here? I keep forgetting that the level of knowledge here deteriorated so far that people think 5w30 will cause damage where 0w20 is specified, for no other reason than the old "engineers know best" rhetoric
wink.gif

Honestly apples and oranges. This isn't an "Engineers are perfect" excuse. You argue that they aren't right all the time. I agree.

But a guy looking at his dipstick and moving up a grade based on color is ALWAYS wrong.

I'm not here to convince anyone what to do with their property, but whenever the infamous engineers are brought up I just laugh. Big corps have layers and layers of decision makers and chances are, engineering was but a small part of the overall decision process.

On the other hand, if I were the owner of one of these engines that are famous for fuel dilution, oil consumption or other engine problems that could be related to the overly thin oil specified, where such problems were not present with the thicker oil specified, I would not pretend that the engineers have it all figured out and do the logical thing and go back to the oil viscosity that worked.

But really, why am I wasting time here? I keep forgetting that the level of knowledge here deteriorated so far that people think 5w30 will cause damage where 0w20 is specified, for no other reason than the old "engineers know best" rhetoric
wink.gif

I think going up a grade is not really the issue here. It more has to do with making a change based on zero (or minimal) evidence or test results. I haven't really seen much proof yet the new 1.5L turbo in the Civic has fuel dilution, oil consumption, or any other issues yet.

Originally Posted By: earthbound
would like some opinions please...I didn't see much talk lately about the new earthdreams 1.5 di/turbo engine. I currently own an 17' with this engine and could not believe @ 1500miles how black the oil was. I'd be willing to bet some fuel dilution was going on, but of course no real lab proof. as you know Honda specs a general sn rated 0w20 for this application. I believe Honda is doing so just to be café compliant, and can't believe at least a 5w30 would be more appropriate like other manufactures have gone with. what are the bitogers thoughts on this? I'm currently running Castrol w/ titanium 5w30.

You want power or you want FE? or the best of both worlds?

Originally Posted By: kjbock
I'm not here to convince anyone what to do with their property, but whenever the infamous engineers are brought up I just laugh. Big corps have layers and layers of decision makers and chances are, engineering was but a small part of the overall decision process.

On the other hand, if I were the owner of one of these engines that are famous for fuel dilution, oil consumption or other engine problems that could be related to the overly thin oil specified, where such problems were not present with the thicker oil specified, I would not pretend that the engineers have it all figured out and do the logical thing and go back to the oil viscosity that worked.

wink.gif

I think going up a grade is not really the issue here. It more has to do with making a change based on zero (or minimal) evidence or test results. I haven't really seen much proof yet the new 1.5L turbo in the Civic has fuel dilution, oil consumption, or any other issues yet.

This. And it's 2 grades now. He debated for a million pages about running a 5w30 instead of the spec 0w20. Now he wants to change to a 40 wt because of more fear (oil color really?). Why not use science to make decisions? Luckily those apparent idiots at Honda did most of the work for you.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: dblshock

I'm dumping the Mobil 1 5/30 this weekend filling with Delvac 1 5/40

Why? Do you even know why? Because your oil is dark? The color of the oil has nothing to do with how the oil is performing. The color of the oil does not necessarily indicate fuel dilution. The oil gets dark quickly because it's a tiny motor spinning a tiny turbocharger 200,000 rpms. It generates heat. Honda engineers KNOW that and still put 0w20 in it because it's FINE. But no, you needed a 30wt. Oh no it's dark, better put a Delvac 40 wt in it. Big diesel trucks use that so my Honda will surely be protected if I use that. Is that your "logic"? Do you care that makes no sense?

There are 100s of posters like you who don't learn anything but just post post post. The amount of things done by feeling and anecdotes just confuses people who actually want to learn about oil selection. This site is ridiculous sometimes.

Nice post.
He goes thru all that rigamarole posting those pics, then only adds one sentence in his thoughts.

Sorry, the oil level has risen over the top fill mark to over the orange plastic in less than 4000 mi. I'm guessing there's significant dilution..I operate in the cold here and 3,000 miles a month most at 80-85mph...the current fill is 5/30 Mobil 1 and a Polaris UOA will be posted on it...might stick with 5/30 but either way it's going to be dumped this weekend.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Yes, trust the all knowing engineers, as these guys are incapable of making mistakes and are totally shielded from the outside influences such as fuel economy, emissions, corporate policy, etc. Nope, their only goal is the best engine protection.
crackmeup2.gif

This never ending debate.

Question: Do I trust a Honda engineer's recommendation even with corporate and federal pressure to meet CAFE standards over a guy who moves a full grade up after he looks at his dipstick every 3 weeks to determine his oil is inadequate?

Answer: Absolutely.

Your funny, always good for a laugh.

Sorry, the oil level has risen over the top fill mark to over the orange plastic in less than 4000 mi. I'm guessing there's significant dilution..I operate in the cold here and 3,000 miles a month most at 80-85mph...the current fill is 5/30 Mobil 1 and a Polaris UOA will be posted on it...might stick with 5/30 but either way it's going to be dumped this weekend.

This is pretty bad considering most highway usage and 3000 miles/month is a lot of driving. Imagine if you were using this car on short, city commutes and lots of cold starts. Good for you on using some common sense.

And for those totally dismissing oil appearance, well you're simply wrong.
Oil appearance and smell, while not accurate, can be a good indication that something is not right and that further investigation or oil analysis should take place.

I would bet user error before assuming that "dilution" added a noticeable volume of material to the sump. Either you do not know your volumes and are adding oil incorrectly or you are mis-reading/incorrectly reading you dipstick and are not accounting for splash, heat or the slope of the parked vehicle. Fuel dilution does not necessarily increase the oil level (I say necessarily because I have hear diesel can have issues and separating a bad injector causing a dilution issue can also be reflected in a oil-level increase)

I could drain out a quart and send a sample to Polaris, continue to monitor as a third option I guess.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
DI produces a lot of soot, making your Earth Dreams engine oil black very quickly. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301679X15000432
Strain on the oil's dispersant additive is among the more concerning effects of increasing soot loads.

I'm somewhat surprised the oil sump isn't larger on the turbo Civic. They increased it on the MDX I believe with their DI engine, so I thought they would have done the same on the Civic. Not sure what they did on the the CRV or Accord though, maybe nothing.

Back to the Civic X...it is alot of car for the money, it's also the sales champ in north america every month since intro, bought my coupe for commuting, the mpg's are wild for a engine with snort and hasn't been back to the dealer once. take a test drive, do a live walk around you'll be sold.

out the door with added rear spoiler, splash guards and rubber mats installed my loaded Touring after tax $27k. That's $11k more than my '86 K5 Silverado Blazer that was junked at 76k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back