Remy Alternator,,new not rebuilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 2 weeks ago, I replaced the battery in our 08 Grand Cherokee Jeep. At the time, when I turned the jeep on, a whining noise was heard. Checked and confirmed it was the alternator, noise wise at the time. Well, because of weather, cold outside, I forgot about it. Also my wife drives it daily to work, less then 2 miles a day. Well today, I started it, the noise was still there, ask my wife if it was there daily, she said yes. I checked all with my mutimeter, numbers where low, but not xtreme, as car off, reading showed 12.45 battery, running w/ all on, about 13.00. Took it to autozone, confirmed alternator dying, diodes failing and so on. Wanted to sell me their brand, remanufacter for 156.99. Well what's the opinion on Remy's new alternator's? Overall I've read good things, on their rebuilds and new. I can get a new alternator from Rock Auto, total $171.99. That's with 5% off, $6.89 priority shipping included (low). I would rather have new then a rebuild, and notice the one I need (remy} was $30-$40 bucks more at other auto sites. I've seen rebuilds, Pure Energy as low as $73.89 and others at about $150. Any Remy alternators reviews out there?

Originally Posted By: 07titan
Any Remy alternators reviews out there?

Probably Chinese made, Did they buy the name? Like RCA, Zenith, etc., etc.?

I have had good luck with the Duralast Gold (most expensive) alternators at Autozone.
I've never tried the lower level stuff.
I have also had good luck with "Pick-n-Pull" alternators for $19.99!!

A local alternator rebuilder who tells you what parts are bad, tells you what parts he replaces, and has knowledge about the quality of the parts, is an excellent source. It also supports your local economy.

The premium house-branded alternators at the parts stores (Duralast Gold, Carquest at Advance, Ultima Select at O'Reilly) are often rebadged Remy, at least in the GM style alternator applications.

Last edited:
My KJ has the same alternator as your WK, I used to have an 09 WK with the 3.7. Get a junkyard one. I got a junkyard one with 60k miles on it for $50. Been fine even with the winch.

Besides rebuilding it yourself, or having a local starter/generator/alternator shop rebuild it, the best place to get your replacement alternator would be OEM. The replacement parts are costly, but your vehicle was meant to be fixed the first time, not meant to have your replacement sold as cheap as possible. If you don't buy your replacement from the dealer (and I usually don't either), I think your best choice is to buy a brand new unit instead of a "lifetime warranty" rebuilt part. The all-new unit is probably also sold on a price factor, but at least it's not some unit that's just had the set of brushes checked and a little bit of grease installed in a set of old bearings. I've seen some junk alternators sold by some chain stores that still have old grease in them.
I've purchased a few Remy new units from RockAuto and haven't had one fail yet.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
A local alternator rebuilder who tells you what parts are bad, tells you what parts he replaces, and has knowledge about the quality of the parts, is an excellent source. It also supports your local economy.
had a great guy here he passed away 2 yrs ago. Now theres nobody to rebuild them anywhere near.

Nothing wrong going to a salvage yard, but the few I called, only 30 day warranty. When we purchased this 08 jeep,new, it came with a lifetime powertrain warranty, alot is covered under this, still have all original paper work, I checked for the alternator, not covered, didn't think so, but the belt tensioner is. I've only needed the water pump replaced, last year. I maintain the vehicle very good, some things I let the dealer do, flush, spark plugs, tranny fluid and filter, just for the records. I do most and keep records also. Anyway, the plan is to keep the 08 tills it,,,,blows up, LOL. Alot is covered in that power train warranty, major internal parts, I just need to take in every 5 years {2013} for inspection at the dealer, next one is in 10/2018. I will probably buy the new alternator because of us keeping the vehicle forever. As for problems, knock on wood, only has been the water pump and a battery, since 2008. I'm a freak on documentation for this jeep. Thought of locating a shop for rebuild, but will just purchase a new one. May look up myself on what is needed to rebuild these, since no core is needed to be sent in. Something to do with the old one. Anyway, the answer's really made me think, new,,,reman, or rebuild at a shop. My preference is new. I thank all for the answers, why I always turn here, always great advice, and learning experience's here. Thank You's.

Call Remy and tell them you have had somebad badtces oft heir alternators and have them send you one directly. Thatss what I had to do, well my mechanic took care of all the hazzle, even had a Remy rep hand deliver one that worked. Yeah wenth thur a few bad ones. But the one on there now has worked for year 5o two years plus now!

I put a Remy starter on a 2001 Chevrolet Blazer several years ago. The part was brand new, made in Mexico, and and visually an exact duplicate of the OEM that was removed.

The starter has worked flawlessly. I would buy their brand again.

A local wholesale auto parts store sells Remy. I have had no trouble with their remans or new.
Have a Remy reman starter and alternator on my pickup I installed over 2 years ago, working great!

will be getting the new remy #94746 alternator, $171.99 total, rock auto. No core charge and no hassle to send the old one in.

The new Remy I got from advance auto sold under the Tough one brand for my Buick has been going 2.5 years strong now, which is much better luck than I've ever had out of their rebuilds.

I didn't like the fact that It was made in Mexico but there's not too many choices unless you still have a rebuild shop local.

avoid autozone.....whoever was their reman supplier was bad....i went through 3-4 before i asked for refund and went to aap and got one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back