Mystery Yamaha Motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uncle has a old Yamaha. It's a two stroke, twin cylinder 250. It has dual pipes, it's red/marroon. Probably from the early to mid 70s. Not sure what model it is. He is getting up there in age, said it still runs and he rides it once a year. He said he may be interested in selling it. His only kid is into Harley's.
Any idea what model it is and a fair price. The chrome is decent, not perfect. It's all there. Been stored in a dry barn in PA. What would be a good offer for it and what model is it?

Does it have turn signals and lights? I mean, does it look like a road legal bike?

One can see information etched on the frame or in steering head bearing area.

VIN can help to decode some information too. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
My uncle has a old Yamaha. It's a two stroke, twin cylinder 250. It has dual pipes, it's red/marroon. Probably from the early to mid 70s. Not sure what model it is. He is getting up there in age, said it still runs and he rides it once a year. He said he may be interested in selling it. His only kid is into Harley's.
Any idea what model it is and a fair price. The chrome is decent, not perfect. It's all there. Been stored in a dry barn in PA. What would be a good offer for it and what model is it?
Any pictures? there is lots of info on you tube and look on Ebay. The old 2 stroked can fetch serious $$$ for what they are. I wold guess a Big Bear Scrambler. With disc brake in the front it could be an RD 250

NADA says anywhere from $600 to 2600 (which surprised me a little) I would have thought 1-2k.
Offer him $1000 and see his response. or 500, if you want.

My nephews would get rock bottom price or maybe free on any of my toys if they asked.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
NADA says anywhere from $600 to 2600 (which surprised me a little) I would have thought 1-2k.
Offer him $1000 and see his response. or 500, if you want.

My nephews would get rock bottom price or maybe free on any of my toys if they asked.

Uncle Tom, is that you?! It's been far too long.

Let me know what I can choose from and I'll be there in a jiffy.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

grin.gif

ROFL
lol.gif

grin.gif

I'm laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes! thanks!
any of the two lawnmowers, four snowblowers, the Radian, maybe an ATV....
maybe more, you just have to recall what you have seen and where you saw it.... if you recall correctly, I have "stuff" in 8 places....

I had a 71 rebel 350 Suzuki 2 stroke parallel twin . Fun town bike.

2 stroke street bike are bringing good money.

IIRC Yamaha had a 2 stroke sport bike as the last one before smog killed them - in the late 80's ...the RZ350?

I had a DT250 in the mid seventies, street/trail with oil injection. I would occasionally be riding in the country and take off across a field or fire road. Really fun and dependable bikes. Mine was a single cylinder 2 stroke. The old RD's were fun too. My son still owns my old 1974 YZ 250A model...the first year for the YZ motocross bikes.

grin.gif

maybe more, you just have to recall what you have seen and where you saw it.... if you recall correctly, I have "stuff" in 8 places....

In that case, the 1977 Kawasaki H2 in the barn out back is calling my name.......or maybe its a 1981 Suzuki RM125 in the garage (let me know if I'm getting warm), or the 1974 Yamaha YZ360 under the tarp.........
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
I had a DT250 in the mid seventies, street/trail with oil injection. I would occasionally be riding in the country and take off across a field or fire road. Really fun and dependable bikes. Mine was a single cylinder 2 stroke. The old RD's were fun too. My son still owns my old 1974 YZ 250A model...the first year for the YZ motocross bikes.

Fun bikes! I had a blue DT175.

RD250 ...I had 2 RD350's from same era 73-74 i think Fun light bikes.

If everything works and its clean i would guess its $750 $1000. I mean it still runs its not junk ...check around a lot of thos old bikes are collectable and worth more. I thing a honda trail 70 is 2K in great shape.

Last edited:

grin.gif

In that case, the 1977 Kawasaki H2 in the barn out back is calling my name

That would be quite the collectors item considering they stopped production of the H2 in 1975. I own a 1973 model that my father purchased brand new back then. H2 750's were in production from 1972-75 only. Yamaha RD's were produced though 1979, the 1979 models were called Daytona Specials and the RZ water cooled models were available for a few years after that.

Last edited:
I had a 1970 H1 Kawasaki. Smooth, fast, pretty, and I loved that banshee 2 stroke sound at WOT. Engine seized twice and was pretty much worn out at 12,000 miles, didn't like that so much!!!

Back in '86, I had a '82 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim (4 cyl., 4-stroke).
A buddy had a Suzuki 550 2-stroke twin (mid 70's??).

He had good torque - He'd get me out of the hole every time!
But once my 4 cyl started to "sing", raw HP won the battle.
In the 1/4 mile, I'd pass him about 1/2 way.

The Titan was a very low output 2 stroke. It should have been tuned to be a screamer like the Suzuki X6 Hustler. The 250cc X6 was a Triumph Bonneville killer.

I have a 1980 Yamaha DT 175. I bought out of a barn for $100.
I have had it for over 12 years now. Still runs like a top. Still original piston. I put new rings in it and a crank seal and new tires. Other than that it's all original. It's a blast to ride. Littler than I remember them as a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back