Gear oil v.s standard engine oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My scooter "Honda PCX" mannual says: gear oil, 10W-30, MB, SL which is also the recommended engine oil.

I found motorbike gear oil specs: Motul, 80W-90 GL-5 and Speedmaster, 85W-140, GL-5.

Huge difference by the look of numbers, 10W-30 v.s 80W-90 even 85W-140, and API SL v.s API GL-5.

So,
#1. what is the difference between the performance? Huge difference I guess?
#2. Which one is better for my scooter?

Gear oil viscosities are different than engine oil.

viscosity-grade-comparisons.jpg

Totally different additive packages.

I believe the viscosity numbers are based on a different scale. So while the numbers look very different, it's not as dramatic as it appears when you look at the actual viscosity of the fluid instead of the "weight" on the bottle.

My 95 Yamaha Jog calls for 10w30 in the transmission/gear case. I use 90w gear oil.
Once scooter get up to 100+cc then they start calling for 140w gear oils

Originally Posted By: dole
My scooter "Honda PCX" mannual says: gear oil, 10W-30, MB, SL which is also the recommended engine oil.

Do not use "gear oil"

You must use "Engine oil"

What oil choices are readily available to you in China?

Gear oil have a very distinct bad/strong smell (at least on my standard).
It has a high sulfur content.
If you leak it, you can smell it from far away.

Regular motor oil has smell but not the same smell.

Sometimes, you can determine the type of oil from smell.
That is all I am saying.

Originally Posted By: dole

I found motorbike gear oil specs: Motul, 80W-90 GL-5 and Speedmaster, 85W-140, GL-5.

Huge difference by the look of numbers, 10W-30 v.s 80W-90 even 85W-140, and API SL v.s API GL-5.

So,
#1. what is the difference between the performance? Huge difference I guess?
#2. Which one is better for my scooter?

The better oil to use IS the one the engine maker says you should use. Listen to them, they are pretty smart people.

The MB is "JASO" MB, which is a Japanese wet clutch specification.

If you are using SL engine oil, those which are friction modified (e.g. a typical ILSAC spec) will be detrimental to the operation of the clutch.

Well, if I can't use the gear oil, I may just use the Mobil or Shell 0w-40 for the transmission.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Gear oil has high quantity of extreme pressure additives. Not usually necessary in a motor.

thumbsup2.gif

And usually destructive when gear oil is used in an engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back